Your all time hero.

Discussion in 'Barracks' started by David Layne, Dec 12, 2008.

1. David Layne

David Layne Active Member

Take this test to predict your all time hero. Try it without looking at the answers.

pick a number between 1-9
    then x3
    then+3
    then x3 again
    you end up with 2 digits, add the 2 digits together to find your all time hero

1. Winston Churchill.

2. Guy Gibson.

3. Bernard Montgomery.

4. Douglas Bader,

5. Dwight D. Eisenhower.

6. George Patton.

7. Charles Upham.

8. Arthur Harris.

9. David Layne

10. John Nettleton

2. CTNana

CTNana Active Member

Wow David you are my hero!!!!

See not only a sheltered life but gullible too!!!!

3. David Layne

Got ya again!

4. CTNana

CTNana Active Member

Ohh I soooo wish I could say you won't do it again!!!!

5. Adrian Roberts

Adrian Roberts Active Member

Grrrr. .suckered! :mad2:

After I had cooled down a bit, I tried it with all the numbers 1-9. The reason this works is something to do with the fact that in the nine times table, up to 90, all the pairs of digits add up to nine. Maybe some maths geeks among you will know why (Kitty, you've just done a degree...:nerd:)

So I'm trying to see how the first bit will always total a multiple of nine :confused:

6. David Layne

Too complicated for me to figure out but I'm glad I got you!

7. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Right upto the last bit of adding the two digits together makes sense - whether adding or multiplying by 3 will produce multiples of three/six/nine.....

....but then that last bit throws me too. It works beyond the 1-9. But with 10, 20, 30 etc one needs to take it one step further as the mutiples add upto to 18.

Strange, very strange. I hate maths :)

8. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Saw the list before the calculation as knew the maths would do my head in trying to work out the "secret". The answer was pretty self-explanatory I thought. :becky:

9. CTNana

CTNana Active Member

I have been racking my brains and I think they are called "Digital Roots".

The digital root is the addition of each element of a number until you reach a single digit. Thus the digital root of say 1325 is 1+3+2+5=11. For any number under 99 which is also divisible by 9, this is also as Adrian has already pointed out, the digital root. The fact that you are adding 3 in the sum is a bit of a red herring since it works with any multiple of 3.

All clear now???

10. David Layne

Clear as mud.

11. CTNana

CTNana Active Member

Not to a superhero surely?????

12. David Layne

You must have learnt that when we were all out smoking and drinking!

13. CTNana

CTNana Active Member

Sadly that it probably true!!! ... well until I met my husband.

And you won't forget how to smoke and drink but I struggle to remember much of what I did learn!!!

14. CTNana

CTNana Active Member

What a bad example!! 1325 is 1+3+2+5=11 I forgot to do the last part .... then 1+1=2 so digital root of 1325 is 2 because digital roots can only be single figures.

Hope that didn't mislead anyone!!

15. Kitty

Kitty New Member

:noidea:

David my Hero! Lend us a tenner :becky:

In countryside management & leisure. I can explain the theories of Habitus as postulated by Pierre Bourdieu, Edge Working and Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs. i can also go into long lectures about SSSI's, TPO's, RIGS and the geomorphological formations of the Peak District, the South Coast and some theories behind Chesil Beach.

What i can't do is Maths. :becky:

16. Adrian Roberts

Adrian Roberts Active Member

Some of what you have learned may at least useful to the needs of the future generations!

I've vaguely heard of these things. But I'm not sure why nine is special. Perhaps we have to accept that like a lot of things "it just is".

17. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

I can tell the difference between a Spitfire and a Lanc but would happily explain the rules of cricket to someone who doesn't know! That's about my limit.