WWI Underground city

Discussion in 'Barracks' started by Antipodean Andy, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Fascinating stuff.

Now you can visit the secret underground WW1 city built by British Tommies | the Daily Mail - some interesting pics in link.

An underground city where thousands of British soldiers were housed in the First World War has been partly rebuilt and opened to visitors.

Situated deep beneath the town of Arras in the Artois region of France, it was used to protect up to 24,000 troops from constant German artillery bombardment.

Ten miles of tunnels linked a command centre, dormitories, kitchens and even a hospital.

Going underground: Visitors can now explore the facility which housed up to 24,000 troops

The area was already riddled with mine shafts and cellars, some dating back to the Middle Ages, when British High Command ordered the "secret city of Arras" to be created.

Miners from the North of England and Londoners who had built the Underground were joined by Maoris on the 18-month project.

A surprise attack on German lines was launched from the underground city on April 9, 1917 but it ended in stalemate after casualties reached 4,000 a day.

The area was sealed until local authorities raised £3million to reopen sections as a tribute to fallen troops.

From next Saturday, visitors will descend 70ft by glass lift into the Carrière Wellington Museum, which contains artefacts including helmets, bullets removed during operations - and 3,000 examples of graffiti.

2. Antipodean Andy

3. Kitty

Kitty New Member

4. Antipodean Andy

Kitty, how many disused Tube stations are there? I keep seeing reference to disused ones in New York etc so are there many that are ust bricked up etc?

5. Nostalgair

Nostalgair New Member

Fascinating!

This sounds like it's going on the list of places to see in France! (Not that the list isn't long enough already)

Cheers

Owen

6. Antipodean Andy

My thoughts exactly and I haven't been there yet so can't even cross anything off!

7. Nostalgair

Nostalgair New Member

My only visit was about 48 hours in Paris 5 years ago and I walked my legs off!

Since then I've written "Down to Earth" and I have a list of significant places relating to Kenneth's journey that I would love to visit. Not least of those being his crash site and subsequent trek at Dunkirk.

Cheers

Owen

8. Antipodean Andy

So how do you reach the rudder pedals? :becky:

As you walk along the beach at Dunkirk, you can look out to sea and wonder where those Spitfires went down!

9. Nostalgair

Nostalgair New Member

Mate,

At the time of writing the book, as Kenneth recounted the tales so vivdly, I could see them in my mind's eye. To have the actual geographic 'backdrop' would be amazing and, I would imagine, moving at times. He was an amazing gentleman in all aspects of the word and my life is certainly richer for having known him.

View attachment 1472

Cheers

Owen

10. Antipodean Andy

Same applies to those of us who have read, or are reading, his/your book.

11. spidge

spidge Active Member

There are a few in Sydney!

12. Antipodean Andy

Really? I seem to remember you mentioning a bunker of some sort...

13. Nostalgair

Nostalgair New Member

14. Antipodean Andy

That's the one!

15. Kitty

Kitty New Member

Andy i understand there are a hell of a lot of smaller underground stations no longer in use. And as some were used for stuff int eh war they are possibly still listed as secret

16. Antipodean Andy

Time capsules!

17. Kitty

Kitty New Member

maybe so. I recall seeing a repeat on Sky3 of some ghost hunting programme thingy and they visited an abandoned station in London, still complete with 1930's painted signs and posters, and the remnants of the communications center set up in the War and the remnants of aircraft manufactoring down there.