World War I story

Discussion in 'Veterans' Histories/Stories' started by Peninha, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Peninha

Peninha Member

A few years ago I was working as a translator with an 81 year old man who told me stories about World War I. He told me how he managed to save his own leg (even though he still limped at the time) after the doctors said it was not possible. He studied the medicine books and he got to know what doctors didn't apparently. He was pretty credible so I believed him.

Anyone was told this sort of stories too?

2. Yorf

Yorf New Member

My grandpa was telling me stories about winter war. His job was, and I quote; "getting our boys home". He would take his horse and a cart and get the fallen away from the combat. He never told me any more detailed stories, but I think that's just good. I was probably around 8 years old or so.

3. Peninha

Peninha Member

Yeah, knowing a lot of details about a war when you are just 8 doesn't seem to be wise... What was the winter war though? And what do you mean by getting the boys home?

4. Yorf

Yorf New Member

Ah, sorry. Didn't realize this thread was in the WW1 area. Winter War was a war between Finland and Russia during WW2. By getting boys home, he meant he was there to drive the fallen soldiers home from the war zone.

5. Peninha

Peninha Member

I don't know if I could ever participate in a war really, but at the same time if my country was under attack I think I would do everything withing my reach to defend it of course.

So he had that specific job during the war, to pick up the fallen soldiers?