The Explorers Thread

Discussion in 'Barracks' started by Kitty, May 11, 2009.

1. David Layne

David Layne Active Member

Vehicular traffic?

2. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Three near identical structures. RAF Scampton's is a confirmed compass swinging "pen"

Attached Files:

3. Kitty

Kitty New Member

In comparison to Cranage they are damned huge! but it's the only thing it can be.

4. David Layne

David Layne Active Member

5. Kitty

Kitty New Member

Tell pegasus if he wants to know why a large group all died on the same day to get his backside over here :D

6. Kitty

Kitty New Member

Hug Bridge Pillbox

I'm a member of an Urbex forum, where there is a worrying fascination with bricks and pillboxes. I've just posted this one, but thought you lot would like it too.

I know tis an old explore, but the farm that owns the land doesn't mess with the box, so it is likely to be in the same condition. Again if you knock at the door and ask permission they are quite happy for you to have a good crawl all over this pillbox.

A type DW3/22 bullet proof pillbox (guess who ahs been loaned a pillbox book?) this is one of a series of 7 in about a 4 mile radius. On the Macclefield-Leek road, it sits on a hill overlooking Hug Bridge, a River Dane crossing just by the Cheshire/Staffordshire border.

Basic brick construction with a concrete rendering, it has the obligatory concrete blast walls inside. Unusually it still has the wooden supports at each slit. i assume a plank would be laid across the supports to rest guns on. The supports are hinged to allow them to sit flat against the wall out of the way.

Walking up the hill to the box.
    [​IMG]

The view over the top of the box, down to the river crossing it protects
    [​IMG]

Nice lichen and moss covered steps going down into a surprisingly dry box
    [​IMG]

Two ends of the blast wall in front of the doorway. I seem to recall this one had 3 curved walls that met in the middle.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Those wonderful hinged brackets, two to every gun slit
    [​IMG]

Bosley Cloud
    [​IMG]

7. Kitty

Kitty New Member

The obligatory brick shot :rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The pillbox is in the field next to Hug Bridge farm. If you ask nicely they'll let you go for a look. Easiest access of all the boxes in this area.

8. Buster

Buster "Deep down 'ere in'nit Chief?!"

Could the track actually be a marked out "exclusion zone" bearing in mind the swing platforms would be well away from anything that could induce a magnetic anomoly. So if you were to ...say... park a vehicle within that radius it may well induce anomolies.

Just a guess..

or on second thoughts.....

Trying to find a flat disk of 40' radius from 1/4 of a mile away on Very flat ground would need a wee bit of help, perhaps in the way of a track?

Or.. again...

Perhaps a track for a towing vehicle to travel..

Dunno..

AHA!

If the aircraft were traversed by a hand, the traversing staff would require a track as opposed to a patch of slippery grass, after all this would have been used all year round.

The picture earlier in the thread, of the Spitfire, doesn't need it as it was only a wee and light aircraft.

(Who needs Tony Robinson?)

9. Kitty

Kitty New Member

They would have been manhandling smaller aircraft such as Ansons at the site. Also they couldn't move aircraft along the lanes, they'd lose the wings. I think its' just one of those quirks found at individual airfields that will never be answered now. :(