The Australian health system

Discussion in 'Barracks' started by Antipodean Andy, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

HYPERLINK "http://www.abc.net.au/news/maps/map.htm?lat=-21.155&long=149.1664&caption=Mackay%204740"Map: Mackay 4740

Mackay Base Hospital has successfully used alcoholic beverages to treat a 24-year-old Italian tourist who ingested litres of a poison commonly found in anti-freeze.

After running out of pharmaceutical-grade alcohol used to help stop the poison turning toxic in the stomach, staff of the north Queensland hospital had to give the man rounds of rum, scotch and vodka.

Dr Todd Fraser says while unconventional, the patient was given three standard drinks every hour for three days.

"Fortunately for him he was in a medically induced coma for a good portion of that," he said.

"By the time he woke up I think his hangover would have well and truly gone."

2. spidge

spidge Active Member

216 standard drinks of spirits in three days! Beat the toxicity in the stomach but what about the liver?
    The man would have been a "still" by day three.:headhurt:

3. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Q1 - why did he drink the anti-freeze?
    Q2 - if I get stopped for being drunk in public can I get away with it if I say that it was medically induced? :busted_blue:

4. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

A1 - He's Italian so...they drink anything don't they?! :peep:
    A2 - depends on if you say "ociffer" or not!

5. morse1001

morse1001 Guest

The canadian snooker star, Bill wobbeneck, successfully claimed a medical condition which meant that he had to drink 18 pints of lager a day!

6. Kitty

Kitty New Member

I feel sick.