Submarine Museum

Discussion in 'Barracks' started by Buster, May 26, 2009.

1. Buster

Buster "Deep down 'ere in'nit Chief?!"

This was my first ever boat!

2. spidge

spidge Active Member

How long was she your "home"?

3. Buster

Ah, sadly only for about 6 weeks, I stood in for an injured guy for one patrol and no matter how I tried I could not get to stay, or even get a draft to one of the sister boats..

4. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

5. spidge

spidge Active Member

6. Antipodean Andy

That's the one I was trying to find. Onya Geoff.

There's also Otama in Western Port Bay that was offered on Ebay recently and the bow and screw from another around the Victoria Quay markets in Fremantle, West Oz (near the Ovens). I think this is what's left of Oxley. Onslow is with the National Maritime Museum in Sydney. A good survival rate considering what happens to our old surface ships!

LOL, here's a google map thing of surviving Oberons:
    Surviving Oberon Class Submarines - Google Maps

7. spidge

spidge Active Member

10 survivors would have to be a record for a class of anything wouldn't it?

8. Antipodean Andy

It'd have to be, Geoff. I can't think of anything else other than maybe one of the wartime classes of USN submarines? Seems to be a few of them serving as museums.

Liberty ships perhaps? I wonder if any are still in use as tramp steamers.

9. Buster

Well that was a brilliant couple of postings, I wonder what happened to the rest of the boat if $100,00 would only buy the casing and fin? I remember when the navy finally sold these boats off (both the Oberon and Porpoise class) they were selling for around £20,000 - complete!

I honestly had no idea there were so many left.

This, however, is what happened to most of them ....

HMS Rorqual.

Attached Files:

10. Antipodean Andy

Always hate seeing ships like that.

11. spidge

spidge Active Member

This is sadder than seeing a beached whale.

Surely there are people in the RN/Government/responsible for these "relics".

Sell them, display them, break them up but not this.

How many sailors would make a particular sub their home over its lifetime?

12. spidge

spidge Active Member

Is this the same one Buster?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Rorqual_(S02)

13. Buster

Yep, that's the one. The picture is of it at the breakers yard.

Unlike ships, which are predominantly broken up whilst in the water, boats have to be grounded - it's a safety thing.

14. purp

purp New Member

Morning all,

I have spent some time googling as much information about surviving bits and pieces of Oberon Class boats (my google map was linked to earlier). As has been said, an impressive number of boats (or parts thereof) have survived from this one class. I am wondering if anyone out there can assist me in running down the truth on one point.

During my googling I have come across some websites which suggest that two paid off RN Oberon Class submarines were sold to Egypt in 1989 (HMS Oberon and one other). I have been unable to verify this however (only a couple of websites appear to be unique, several are just copied text from elsewhere), and certainly have been unable find any pictures. I would be interested to hear anything you might know.

They were most likely scrapped years ago, but may well be rusting away in the corner of an Egyptian port, like the old Egyptian Romeos are.

Google Map of Surviving O'boats.