Servicemen Voting

Discussion in 'Barracks' started by John, Jun 29, 2010.

1. John

John Active Member

Could someone tell me if Australian servicemen had the right to vote between 1930 - 1960.
    I have been searching the electoral rolls for family history and have notice some of relatios who were in the services do not show up
    John

2. spidge

spidge Active Member

Aboriginal Servicemen were given the vote in Federal elections in 1949 so I would say all other servicemen and women were allowed to vote pre and post this date!

Cheers

Geoff

3. John

John Active Member

Thanks Geoff, maybe they kept service personel on a seperate electoral rolls and these have not been released
    John

4. Cobber

Cobber New Member

Australian troops have since Federation been eligible to register for compulsory voting in federal and where applicable State elections.
    With out the vote from those military persons then it would not be a true vote of Citzens as the numbers of those military persons eligible esp during world wars was quite high especially with the small population Australia had back then.
    This is shown for example with the WW1 referendums regarding conscription where large portions of the AIF voted. What area they are registered in I donot know, however I assume it should be where they were/are living when posted and before deployment or possibly their home region before enlistment.
    I imagine it has been the same in the armed forces as it has been in civilian society in that providing a person has registered to vote then they are eligible to vote in federal and State elections.
    In Australia if a person does not register at any time then as far as the Election Council are concerned you do not exist. They for example do not cross check against any other list of citizens they only use the Electoral Councils register roll. I for example went 15 years before I bothered to register to vote, and when I registered the AEC tried to fine me for not voting in the election that had just passed a few months previously, I replied that since I was not registered then i was not expected to vote, the electoral roll people immediately and with out any more comments accepted this position and withdrew all punitive measures against me..

5. John

John Active Member

Thank you for your reply Cobber. You may have solved why I couldn't find my Rellie as he may not have registered to vote.