Racism

Discussion in 'Barracks' started by Wise1, Nov 16, 2007.

1. Wise1

Wise1 Getting Wiser!

Is it still as bad as it was in years gone by? Especially here in the UK?

I never really experienced much until one of my staff, a team leader who is indian by descent but born and lived his life in Glasgow was telling me today that his neighbour (he just moved to new flat) has been making comments like "why did you move in paki, go home" and things like that.

It was funny on one side as he said, apart from anything he could not go back to india, because he was not sure where to find it on a map :)

In general terms thats the first incident of racial abuse I have personally heard of in years.

2. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Racial attacks are up, social fragmentation getting worse, and peoples' attitudes haven't moved on from the 1970s.

The difference is that the middle classes are more careful never to be caught saying anything racist, or showing any racist attitude or action. But a lot of them are still Mail readers

3. Wise1

Wise1 Getting Wiser!

Never knew that, certainly dont see it up here anyway.

4. CTNana

CTNana Active Member

Lee comments like that first post make my heart bleed.

I don't think it is just racism. I think people in general are more intolerant of each other regardless of whatever schism they can find for the division, be it class, colour, race, sex or whatever. Some of our policy mis-management has undoubtedly made matters worse in my view.

One of the ladies that I have been talking to whilst trying to find a memorial for Sniper told me that one of the causes for today's ills was that too many good men were cut off in their prime in both wars, leaving the "? underclass?" to reproduce and put the balance of society out of kilter. Interesting thought?

Kyt is your definition of a racist, one who reads the Daily Mail? I take three different daily papers encompassing each side of the political spectrum. Whilst one of them isn't the Mail, what does that make me?

5. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

No, not all Mail readers are racist but some certainly read it as a way of reinforcing their prejudices.

I know a lot of people who say things like "I'm not a racist but......", and invariably it's a comment based on what they've read in the Mail or Telegraph. It can be a fine line.

6. CTNana

CTNana Active Member

Oh no! I do read the Telegraph!

I used to think that our race relations here were healthier than I experienced in for example the States where it seemed very covert and simmering. My Dad called a spade a spade but there was never any malice behind his words and he would have died at the thought of causing offence. Times have changed but I'm not sure that it is altogether healthier. I think we are in danger not just of treating comments like the one Lee quoted with disdain, but also any honest attempts to intelligently discuss the problems that we are facing by immediately labelling those who instigate that discussion as racist.

Surely any prejudice is better eroded by persuasion and discussion.

7. CTNana

CTNana Active Member

What an unfortunate choice of phrase. My apologies. I meant that a rose by any other name etc. etc. It's just that I find this thin veneer of civility masking what people feel more distasteful than a statement that one can challenge.

Why can't we look at each other as human beings, good and bad in all, rather than attach labels which seem to be divisive?

8. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

I try not to compare race relations between countries as each nation has its own history and its own issues.

For Britain, I'm old enough to remember the "in your face" racism of the 1970s, and I wouldn't say that for me personally, things are that bad now. However, I'm lucky. I live in a relatively affluent middle class area where any prejudice is kept behind the net curtains.

However, I'm a Londoner, I know enough people still there to know that on the streets things are still bad.

As to language, it's a tricky issue. I've spent 15 years discussing similar issues over the language of disability. Simply put, there aren't any clear answers

9. Kitty

Kitty New Member

Cant say i have come across racism from anyone other than the local chavs, who are just foulmouthed and abusive to everyone.