Out with the old.....really?

Discussion in 'Barracks' started by preacherbob50, Nov 6, 2014.

1. preacherbob50

preacherbob50 Active Member

06 Nov. 2014
    The mid-term elections and the republicans took the senate. Harry Reed is no more so hopefully there will be no more bottle necks in the process of law making. Today, just about everyone was talking about the keystone pipeline. I personally hope that it goes through, but I do not know what the folks in the states that it will be built in are thinking about it.

I am not really sure if it will be a "out with the old" senario though. It looks like our president is as stubborn as always. He said he would be glad to talk with the republicans but also said that everything he has done since he came into office is going to stay that way. Again with the pen and phone executive order thing. It is a hurry up and wait situation. I am not even sure if the new senate is going to go back to the 60 vote or leave it at the Harry Reed 51.

2. Kate

Kate Active Member

Harry Reed was... scary. Voicing "glad to work together" and what actually gets done are two very different animals. I won't pretend to know enough about politics to know whether this "executive order" nightmare can be stopped, but if I'm right in thinking it amounts to "I'll do what I want to do no matter what the Congress or the American people think should be done".... well then it needs to be stopped or laws about it modified.

And yes, I certainly would have said the same if either of the Bush's or Reagan would have taken the "to heck with what the people want" stance. That's not the kind of government we have (or I should say "had" :() so I hope it can be fixed... the sooner the better.

3. DancingLady

DancingLady Member

They do know they are elected officials right? If we don't like what they are doing, they will not get re-elected. I know what you mean about them no caring what people think, but at the same time, there have been some seriously surprised politicians who behaved that way, thought they were going to get away with it, and then found themselves replaced.

4. preacherbob50

preacherbob50 Active Member

I have been in a management, owner, situation for a number of years. When someone under my supervision is not doing the job he/she was hired to do, I only gave one x-tra chance for the employee to get it right. No 3 strikes you're out, or I understand, ect. I am hard, but everyone has said in the past that I am fair. That being said, the politicians put in place by the people of the U.S. (the true government) can screw up for a couple of years before we can get rid of them. Even if the U.S. president does something seriously wrong, say, murder, the only agency that can arrest the pres. is the dept. of the interior. Go figure.

If our politicians understood that their jobs were on the chopping block the minute they raised their hands, a few less hands would be there to be raised. The problem with this analysis is the fact that the congress and senate are state appointed. If Nevada is happy with Harry Reed he stays in office although he is a pain in the posterior of America.

5. Kate

Kate Active Member

Elections... even those of the mid-term kind, take two to four years to come around again. I'm thinking a huge amount of damage can be done before re-election would "fix" the harm.