Only in America Pt 2

Discussion in 'Barracks' started by Kyt, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Man hurt using gun to change tyre

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7091904.stm

2. digger

digger Guest

Another candidate for the Darwin awards

3. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Mmm, cos blasting the nut off would have left the rest of the surrounding area in pristine condition...

4. Adrian Roberts

Adrian Roberts Active Member

Mind you, have you ever tried removing a wheel nut after a certain well-known tyre and exhaust company have tightened them with a pneumatic tool?

:frusty:

5. spidge

spidge Active Member

"South Kitsap" says it all.

Will have to track down the Darwin awards again. They always make me feel that I am so intelligent.

6. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Certainly have! I used a very long bar that went over the handle of my wrench and then stood on the end of the bar, after liberal application of CRC etc, until it cracked it loose. The next step was to apply heat and I don't like doing that.

Always amuses me how the tyre companies will tighten the nuts up so hard with the air gear but forget to back things off a little!

My Bedford has left-hand threads on the left side (or right-handed ones, can never remember). Anyway, to undo them, you turn them clockwise rather than anti-clockwise. Haven't caught myself out on that yet but have heard some funny stories and had a couple of mates ring up saying, "I'm stuffed if I can get this wheel off"! They've done what I'm bound to do one day....forgotten about the opposite thread!

7. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Even when one has specifically asked them not to do so!! I once had a flat in the middle of nowhere, and even the plugin tool wouldn't loosen one nut. I then used the "crowbar" or whatever they are called, and even jumped up and down on it. It still didn't shift. I ended up having to wait hours in the cold for the AA to turn up. :mad2:

8. Kitty

Kitty New Member

A quick application of blow torch and the nut should swell enough before it heats the threads and by jumping on the bar it should loosen.

All else fails look pitiful until someone helps.

9. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Ah yes, the blow torch. Something I had forgotten to pack in the boot.

10. Kitty

Kitty New Member

This was obviously at home where the fella was working on his car.

You however deserved to be left stranded considering what a dangerous driver you are. :>