My new car

Discussion in 'Barracks' started by Wise1, Oct 27, 2007.

1. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

It's my favourite word - wish I knew what it meant too :becky:

2. CTNana

CTNana Active Member

I have an email correspondent with whom I compete to include the most obscure word, in context, in the email. HMmmmm!!! Have to think about that!
    CTNana

3. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Try epiphenomenological

4. CTNana

CTNana Active Member

Kyt I didn't even understand the definition in the dictionary, never mind being able to spell that late at night!!!!

Is this conversation an epiphenomenon of Lee and his new car?
    CTNana

5. spidge

spidge Active Member

I am glad you do not have this one!

Coimetrophobia............fear of cemeteries.:)

6. CTNana

CTNana Active Member

Where did you dig that one up from Spidge?

7. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Yes and no CTNana :becky:

It's a result of a primary phenomenon (Lee's car) but technically an epiphenomenon should have no result or consequence on the primary phenomenon. However, in this case it did because this thread was started on cars but moved to chavs, and then language - the new phenomenon actually being "ourcomments about where Lee lives".

Err, does that make sense?

8. CTNana

CTNana Active Member

Now I know why I didn't go beyond my degree!

We didn't have any effect (hopefully) on Lee's choice of car though - did we?

CTNana

9. spidge

spidge Active Member

10. CTNana

CTNana Active Member

Methinks he's beaten me to that! This is literally for me, and hence my next inclusion, a deipnosophy!

Not too many chavs say that do they?

CTNana

11. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Second year Sociology - so that was 18 years ago. So just don't ask me anything more :becky:

If we'd had had an effect then I doubt ihe'd have bought a chavvy car :> So no effect

12. Wise1

Wise1 Getting Wiser!

aaaahhhh! it drives perfectley, the alloys are to die for, the inside is to get lost in.......bliss!!!

13. CTNana

CTNana Active Member

Don't care what the others think, from a fellow chav, they are beautiful, well designed cars which are an absolute pleasure to drive!

Enjoy it Lee, just salve your conscience by throwing a few pennies to the poor as you drive by!! (I've injured loads)

CTNana

14. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

What the hell is a chav?

15. CTNana

CTNana Active Member

Hi Andy
    I think it is an acronym for Council Housed And Violent. It is a derogatory term used for people with no taste etc. See wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chav.

Can't think why I am pretending to own up to it! Maybe the car has affected my judgement!
    Cheers
    CTNana

16. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Thanks CT. We just call them bogans (bohguns).

With the mining boom etc paying people lots of money, we've got a lot of CUBs - cashed up bogans. Still, if you want to spend your money, go for it!

17. morse1001

morse1001 Guest

In Scotland, at a wedding, the best man was suppossed to throw money for the local kids who called a "scramel"! So, Lee could be sending out the wrong signal if he does that in Glasgow!

18. CTNana

CTNana Active Member

Won't they just think he must be an extremely popular chap to be the best man for so many grooms?

Any idea what the origins of the custom are? Anyone know of any other odd ones from around the world?

CTNana

19. Kitty

Kitty New Member

We on wedding traditions now? I know a fair few, and some of them are legal.

20. Kitty

Kitty New Member

You know, my avi does look damn fine on this black background