Letters from Korea

Discussion in 'Veterans' Histories/Stories' started by Cobber, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Cobber

Cobber New Member

Hello, I was wondering if I can use this forum to write long hand numerous letters written by my dad while fighting with both 1RAR and later 2RAR in Korea. Including the last and very bloody batles at the Hook ( that was during the last two days of the war) and many other places in the 1ST Commonwealth Divison AOR.

OFF Topic, I have been trying to cut/copy and paste my pictures on my hard drive onto this thread however their does not seem to be a way for me to paste or whatever the pictures into this thread.

Regards
    Illiterate computer user:noidea:

Attached Files:

2. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Either here or in the Post-1945 thread, Cobber. As a norm, this thread is reserved for the '39-'45 war but I don't think there'll be any complaints if it was here. We'll just be very interested to read of your father's experiences.

Re the pics, I'll PM you with my email address. Send me the pics and I'll see what the prob is.

3. Cobber

Cobber New Member

Thanks mate, I will post the letters in the Post WW2 forum.
    Emails sent.
    Thanks everyone you have all been of help.
    Regards
    Cobber

4. Nostalgair

Nostalgair New Member

Hi Cobber,

I'm keen to hear of the Korean tales. My father served there also.

Cheers

Owen

5. Cobber

Cobber New Member

I am sure I posted dads first Korea war letter dated june 1952 yesterday however have not been able to find it. I might have pressed wrong button by accident or did it get removed for some reason?

Regards
    Cobber

6. Antipodean Andy

Haven't seen it at all, Cobber. Something like that would in no way be deleted.

7. Cobber

Cobber New Member

Thanks Andy, I must of pressed the wrong button, how frustrating as his writing is rushed and old style so I took some time to type in the three pages.
    I will when time alows type it in again.

Regards
    Cbr

8. Antipodean Andy

Were you typing it directly into the post? It drives me nuts when I type a lot in a post and then stuff it up or the net falls over at the time of posting. It might be better to type it into a Word document first and then copy the text onto here or attach the file? That way you don't lose what you've typed and you have a good record on your computer of what your Dad wrote (less handling of the letters too).

9. Cobber

Cobber New Member

Yep typing long hand, will try what you suggested as it would be good to have a easily tread version of his letters esp those to his older brother who was a commando in PNG, he and his two mates found a priest and two nuns hung and gutted on the the coast. Poor old bugger (Uncle Tom) never slept properly again. Just like dad after he saw his best mate blown into two pieces right in front of him from a mine. He had only been in Korea for a week or so.

10. Antipodean Andy

How some of these men ever got on with a life of some sort of normality never ceases to amaze me. Owen will be interested to know of your uncle's commando service (as would the rest of us).

11. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

As I'm a Dufuss with computers .... I use my email to type what I want - then save it as a draft and copy and paste !! :)

12. Cobber

Cobber New Member

Unfortuantly I donot know much only theuncle Toms serive he kept quiet to everyone but his WW2 mates and my Father,
    Dad however told me (Im the youngest) so much about his war experiances esp after he hit late 40s early 50's as i was the only male son left at home and he was at a part of his life where he could talk about it to some one who would listen and listen properly and that of course is me.
    Regards
    Cbr