Legion treasurer jailed for theft

Discussion in 'Barracks' started by Kyt, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

2. Kitty

Kitty New Member

the evil feckin bar steward!

3. spidge

spidge Active Member

A true family affair on the board.

He will have a "nice" time in stir doing his porridge.

4. morse1001

morse1001 Guest

A very shameful episode but sadly its propably not the only one.

5. Wise1

Wise1 Getting Wiser!

No, I doubt it, however this sort of thing is everywhere and I dont think the moral issue of where he was stealing the money from would go for much these days.

6. Kitty

Kitty New Member

I found out last night that the guy who used to organise the collection for the congleton area was sacked 5 years ago as he was only banking, on average, £1900 each year. Yeah right.

7. Wise1

Wise1 Getting Wiser!

Do you think though that now that the 60th has passed the generations coming up are showing less interest in ww2 and as a result contributions will drop each year now?

8. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

I think there's a current resurgance in interest in the war due to all the populist histories that have comeout in the last few years.

Sadly the same hasn't yet happened for Korea or Aden etc. So it will probably those veterans who will miss out (as they are next oldest group)

9. Wise1

Wise1 Getting Wiser!

hmm, true, unfortunate but true.

On a side note, I was teaching in a school last month, talking about the holocaust. One girl asked me whether I thought the Jews were themselves responsible for what happened to their own people during the war because they gained so much during WWI when they should have been fighting.

I replied that certainly some groups of Jews used the onset of WWI to build their wealth within Germany whilst others were fighting and they could have been also, just like other non Jewish groups which lead a great deal to the ill feeling later. However nothing they did warranted the actions of the Nazi's during the the holocaust.

Her reply (13 years old) was that her dad said that WWII was a sham, that it was just governments making something to do and that the Jews deserved everything they got. Those who went to fight did it themselves, nobody forced them.

To my shock 5 others in a class of 28 suggested the same line of thought from their parents.

I went on to explain the draft method but at the same time they courageously felt a need to to protect their own families by helping stop an advancing German army from acheiving their goals. Also explaining that it was nobody but Hitler who brought the world to war, governments did not in any way orchestrate it.

So, 3 days later I get a phone call from the Girls father screaming down the phone at me for telling such lies to his daughter and never to speak to her again! W**K

10. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

That really is a sad story Lee. And yet indicative of how, no matter what evidence is presented and however much education is provided, kids follow in their parents thinking. So to that little girl daddy is always right.

And there's enough a*****les who will make outlandish claims. Seriously think people should have to take a test before being allowed to sire children.

11. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Unbelievable, Lee, effing unbelievable. Quite disturbing too.

12. Kitty

Kitty New Member

and that child will enter the gene pool inabout 12 months time.....

As to a drop in interest, not from what i understand from the poppy coordinator. the last 4 years has found an increase in money collected each year, and he thinks this year will prove to be just as good if not better. There have been several injured and 2 killed in Iraq and Afghanistan locally. News is getting out that the Legion are th eonly ones helping them, so people are giving.

I personally found, whilst street collecting, that it was the war generation children who did NOT give money.