High alert messages from Nortons

Discussion in 'Barracks' started by The Aviator, Nov 20, 2007.

1. The Aviator

The Aviator New Member

Nortons is constantly blocking attempts to tamper with my computer.
    THere are two in the last half hour.
    It appears to be happening when I am on line with the forum.
    I would like to know if anyone else is experiencing this?

2. spidge

spidge Active Member

No trouble this end.

I don't use Nortons. Have had nothing but trouble with it.

3. morse1001

morse1001 Guest

I use zonealarm as my firewall and have had no difficulties.

4. 51highland

51highland Member

Had a lot of trouble with Nortons which was embedded. Use AVG now and no probs. Had a lot of trouble actually deleting the Norton programme too.

5. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

I use Zonealarm too. Though it is continually blocking attempts they are low or medium priority and so I don't get pinged. But that happens on a lot of sites. I get no high priority warnings on Chat, or any other forum of this sort.

But I agree with all the above who have stated that Norton is pants. I nearly bought it when MacAfee ran out and was told to steer clear.

6. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

We're on AVG as well.

7. CTNana

CTNana Active Member

I must be paranoid! I use AVG & ZoneAlarm and SpyBot but I did lose my system to a virus once (I think from Microsoft) so I won't take any chances now.

8. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Spybot is superb. Couple it with Spywareblaster, and they merrily chug away in the background without using too much power.

I also use 12Ghosts (Wash) which does a deep clean of my cookies, history and all the other things that the net dumps on my system. It's better than just using the browser's own cache cleaner. However, ZoneAlarm has a similar facility built into it.

Finally, for Fiefox users I would recommend CookieSafe (available from the Firefox Add-On page) that doesn't alow any cookies unless you specify the site to be safe. Takes a bit of setting up but works really well.

9. Kitty

Kitty New Member

Avi, your poblem is Norton. get rid of it and move to either AVG or ZA. Get all of the add ons like Spyware etc and you should be fine. But avoid Norton and Panda like the plague.

10. The Aviator

The Aviator New Member

Too late Kitty. I just re newed for 12 months.