Happy Veteran's Day!

Discussion in 'Todays Battlegrounds' started by gmckee1985, Nov 11, 2014.

1. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Member

Happy Veteran's Day to everyone on the forums who have served or are serving today. I can't say how much I appreciate your service and sacrifice on behalf of our country your are truly appreciated. I'm thankful every day for the sacrifices that you make in order to preserve our liberty and protect our freedom here at home. So again, thanks.

Kate likes this.
  2. Interrogator#6

Interrogator#6 Active Member

Is it my imagination or is there being more made of this Veteran's Day (Rememberance Day) than was done in the past? I have noticed a trend. Some thirty years ago almost nothing was done, and the only 'observance' were cerimonies in VA graveyards and scatteredpersons selling 'poppies' (not even real flowers, lest someone make opium). Today there are news stories, special TV coverage, and concerts.

Some twenty-five or thirty years ago I happened to find a study done regarding shifting perceptions towards the Military in Poland, particularly towards the 'officer class' (professional soldiers). The study implied that someone was attempting to at least gauge societial feelings towards the military, with an eye towards the manipulation of attitudes.

I wonder if such social engineering is being repeated in the West. Or perhaps it is just rememberance of the Great War.

3. Kate

Kate Active Member

I realized that yesterday, too... it's not your imagination. And the only thing I have to say to that is " 'bout time " don't you think? Patriotism surged right after 9-11 but then complacency set in again... maybe it will stick around this time.

It was extra touching at Gettysburg yesterday... sadly I didn't have time for my cemetery walk, though. :( Next time... and I need to hike around Cemetery Hill as well.

I've seen free meals to veterans (wonderful to see!) and even free dental care continuing through this week. Decades late, but... you know the cliche that goes along with that, I'm sure.

4. Interrogator#6

Kate, I concur. More needs to be done for veterans, but not just for a day or week out of the year.

It is curious that Republican politicians make speechs giving lip-service to the plight of veterans but block any legistation to actually aid those who have served.

5. Kate

Kate Active Member

Oh yes, definitely not just a day or week out of the year. I don't think there would be any arguments about that.

If you do some research, however, you'll discover that this is definitely not something that can be reduced to a partisan issue like so many other things are reduced to. Both sides (Not sure why you chose Republican politicians to point out, because the blame at least equal) have their agendas and often veteran affairs fall through the cracks or are blocked by BOTH sides of the aisle.

But yeah, really... pull up some *bona fide* reports of attempts at legislature without a bias going in and you'll see that the Democrats aren't exactly smelling like roses when it comes to veteran issues. I could say what it *does* smell like instead of roses, but I'm afraid it's not my "Kate's Crass Day". Maybe tomorrow you'll get lucky with that. ;)

6. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Member

We need to do more on a bipartisan basis to care for our military. This shouldn't be a conservative or liberal issue. If you make the commitment to serve in our armed forces, you should be taken care of, period. You shouldn't be making such a low wage that you are forced to take welfare benefits. That's immoral. We waste so much money on stupid stuff. You would think could afford to put a little more money into our military veterans. It's a disgrace.

7. Interrogator#6

But if you do it for vetrans pretty soon you'll have to do it for is disabled, the mentally ill, and then even the poor.