Giving Up Smoking

Discussion in 'Barracks' started by Kyt, Nov 20, 2007.

?

Giving Up Smoking

1. Just stop

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. Do it gradually

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Switch to low tar first

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Don't quit (my favoured option!)

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  5. Other?

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

So, what do people think?

Pros:

1) Health
    2) Save a fortune
    3) Smell
    4) Will be able to go to pubs again

Cons:

1) Not easy to quit
    2) Love the taste
    3) Acts as a relaxant
    4) Rebelliousness - I like annoying non-smokers

2. Wise1

Wise1 Getting Wiser!

I tried patches but fell of the wagon, however they were very good.

3. CTNana

CTNana Active Member

Hi Kyt
    I enjoyed smoking too and only quit for medical reasons. My Dad just stopped but I have to confess that, whilst I had never tried to stop before and I didn't smoke heavily, I resorted to tablets which made it relatively easy.
    I am fortunate that I have never had a problem with other people smoking so haven't become one of those awful moaning ex-smokers. Seven years later I don't miss the smell, the cost or being a social outcast but I do miss smoking (the action, if that makes sense). I actually had one the other day which I immediately put out because it made me feel ill.
    If it's what you want to do, or for medical reasons have to do, then I wish you well.

4. sgt petts

sgt petts Member

I stopped when I was 17, and haven't smoked since.
    I only smoked when I had a drink anyway, and puff would make me fall asleep.
    So I guess the booze won.

Jack Daniels every time.

I hate the smell of smoke on my hair and clothes.
    But I only hate people smoking when I am eating, I think it is so rude to light up, whilst one is eating.
    No decorum whatsoever grrrrrrrrr
    But I don't mind people smoking in the pub.

The worst was going to school on London Underground, and all the passengers smoking.
    Blimey those were the days, no wonder I started smoking lol

5. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Actually, the only positive I can think of is the extra £180+ a month I'd have for books.

6. Wise1

Wise1 Getting Wiser!

Its a tough one, I stopped for 6 weeks last year, but only started again simply becuase I enjoyed it, simple as that. I am 35 now, started when I was about 10 so thats 25 years, in some ways I think giving up now will make me last longer but in others I think the damage is done!

7. Wise1

Wise1 Getting Wiser!

I tried everything to stop, definately the only thing that helped me was the patches, I could go a whole day no problem without smoking. It was actually really good having a patch on, especially in a meeting that lasted 4 or more hours with no breaks, meant I did not feel restless.

8. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

That's an additional problem. I work from home so there's no issue about fag breaks, meetings etc. So I would have to be even more disciplined.

9. CTNana

CTNana Active Member

Good heavens. I went all through the 60's as a non-smoker when you were decidedly square (does anyone still use that term?) if you didn't smoke but then started when I was 27 and easily old enough to know better!

10. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

When I started I actually got a lot of grief from my friends. Still carried on. Got me through some really tough times. My bestest friend :becky:

11. Wise1

Wise1 Getting Wiser!

Sad, but very true and I agree, it pulls you back down from high stress times.

12. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

I might just stay as a smoker. Better that then up a basket case from stress

13. Wise1

Wise1 Getting Wiser!

Eh! thats not my fault, I did not just encourage Kyt to stay a smoker.

14. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Yes he did, yes he did. Everone heard Mr Nicotine tell me that smoking was cool

15. Kitty

Kitty New Member

Kiran T,, I swear to god if you do NOT give up smoking I will make your life a bigger misery than it already is. And I say this as your friend.

16. Wise1

Wise1 Getting Wiser!

oooh, be very scared when she uses your proper name.

17. Kitty

Kitty New Member

I could use the full proper name. :>

18. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

I think I may stick to the fags for the foreseeable future

19. Kitty

Kitty New Member

and the suffering shall begin :>

20. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

If that's not enough motivation, I don't know what is! That translates to A$430. Think of the books you could get with that...wow.

However, after reading this entire thread, it would appear I've wasted my time as the decision has been made. Ah well. :frusty::becky: