'Gay bomb' scoops Ig Nobel award

Discussion in 'Barracks' started by Kyt, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7026150.stm

2007 Ig Nobel Winners

Medicine - Brain Witcombe, of Gloucestershire Royal NHS Foundation Trust, UK, and Dan Meyer for their probing work on the health consequences of swallowing a sword.

Physics - A US-Chile team who ironed out the problem of how sheets become wrinkled.

Biology - Dr Johanna van Bronswijk of the Netherlands for carrying out a creepy crawly census of all of the mites, insects, spiders, ferns and fungi that share our beds.

Chemistry - Mayu Yamamoto, from Japan, for developing a method to extract vanilla fragrance and flavouring from cow dung.

Linguistics - A University of Barcelona team for showing that rats are unable to tell the difference between a person speaking Japanese backwards and somebody speaking Dutch backwards.

Literature - Glenda Browne of Blue Mountains, Australia, for her study of the word "the", and how it can flummox those trying to put things into alphabetical order.

Peace - The US Air Force Wright Laboratory for instigating research and development on a chemical weapon that would provoke widespread homosexual behaviour among enemy troops.

Nutrition - Brian Wansink of Cornell University for investigating the limits of human appetite by feeding volunteers a self-refilling, "bottomless" bowl of soup.

Economics - Kuo Cheng Hsieh of Taiwan for patenting a device that can catch bank robbers by dropping a net over them.

Aviation - A National University of Quilmes, Argentina, team for discovering that impotency drugs can help hamsters to recover from jet lag.

2. spidge

spidge Active Member

People have got to have something to do!

3. Kitty

Kitty New Member

Sounds like my uni.........

4. morse1001

morse1001 Guest

Maybe we could form a research team and get a grant which we spend on booze and pizza. All we have to do is think of an research idea!

5. Kitty

Kitty New Member

the effects of alcohol and fast food upon sedentary students/researchers

6. morse1001

morse1001 Guest

Thats a good idea. Bags I, the job of guinnea pig!

7. Kitty

Kitty New Member

i baggsy the pizza.

8. spidge

spidge Active Member

Just had a lovely Volcano pizza for dinner.

9. morse1001

morse1001 Guest

Luck Bleeder! I have sanries for my lunch! The works canteen closes just as I go on my break!:cry_smile:

10. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Geoff is that worse than the Firehouse Special my fellow volunteer firemen used to order and then sweat buckets while eating it? Yikes!

11. Kitty

Kitty New Member

Mmmmmmmmmmm pizza!

12. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

I reckon we should do a study on the correlation between the emotional age of someone and their use of emos :Booty::jules3::Booty::peace::

13. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Looks like you're into threesomes...

14. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

.....but the reality is always a onesome :cry_smile:

15. spidge

spidge Active Member

But we aren't talking reality are we?:becky:

16. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

ahh, in that case, my harem awaits :clapping:

[​IMG]

17. morse1001

morse1001 Guest

Remember what Woody Allen said about that! You never have to look your best!:Booty:

18. morse1001

morse1001 Guest

I don't fancy yours much! And you have first choice!:becky:

19. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

hmm, cheers Morse........I thought the bus was quite sexy :noidea:

20. spidge

spidge Active Member

Wheres Ena Sharples, in the bus with the driver?