FAA Quiz

Discussion in 'Barracks' started by Kyt, Oct 11, 2007.

1. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

OK, just a little teaser. Can anyone find and post the badge for 818 Squadron? You'd be surprised.

2. spidge

spidge Active Member

I will wait for the answer as it won't be on the net.......will it?

3. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

teehee - maybe/maybe not

4. morse1001

morse1001 Guest

5. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

An interesting situation isn't it? I shall allow Andy a go and then post my scan (unless someone finds a copy first). Haven't quite figured out the "issue" but you'll understand when it's posted.

6. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

OK I couldn't wait.

So far no-one can find the 818 Squadron crest. The FAA Archive seem to have decided that this would do:

[​IMG]

However, the actual crest is:

[​IMG]

And interesting choice of badge, I thought.

7. spidge

spidge Active Member

Well done!

8. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

In late this morning (0730) rather than my usual 0600 but, given Kyt's impatience, I wouldn't have answered anyway! LOL. Nah, had a quick look around and couldn't find anything.

Interesting that even though the first design was not approved, a second one was not put forward. Kyt, have you let the FAA Archive know or doyou think they've omitted the design deliberately?

I'm amazed a sqn with the credentials of 818 went without a "proper" crest.

9. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

I was thinking of contacting the archive. But one theory I have, considering that they must have Sturtivant's* The Squadrons of the Fleet Air Arm, is that the swastika is banned in Germany, and so they didn't want to offend anyone.

National laws can be a tricky business when producing historical websites.

* that's where the above scan comes from

10. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

I reckon you're right, Kyt.