End of an Era?

Discussion in 'Barracks' started by morse1001, Nov 11, 2007.

1. morse1001

morse1001 Guest

2. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Quality aircraft that and will continue in service for years to come.

3. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

I wish it wouldn't. It is indeed a great heli but the Nimrod fiasco has highlighted that keeping aircraft just ticking over can have disasterous consequences. I hope a decent replacement will be found and used.

4. Hugh

Hugh New Member

You and me both Morse, good aircraft, but tend to agree with Kyt, when it's past its sell by date get a decent replacement....scared of flying myself and old machines just make it worse, at least for me:cry:Am much more comfortable on the tide.

Regards
    Hugh

5. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Hugh, I'm the complete opposite. I have no problems with flying in old aircraft (as long as they have been properly maintained) but have never liked being on open water. And it's not even that I get seasick or anything like that. Just all that water :(

6. morse1001

morse1001 Guest

Some of the boats that I sailed with the RAF had been built in the 1950s and were still in use until 1886!

7. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Backwards time travel? :becky:

Nimrod fiasco?

I think it's fair enough SKs are being retired by the RN, RAF etc etc, as they are getting on a bit and have been ridden pretty hard, I imagine. I think it's fair to say, though, that the aircraft will continue to serve in other, "poorer" countries' forces for a while yet?

8. CTNana

CTNana Active Member

Sorry, got to ask - what "boats" does then RAF use?

9. morse1001

morse1001 Guest

From 1918 to 1986, the RAF Marine Craft section provided seabourne support for Flying boats, Helicopters and other day to day usage.

The most famous use was the Air/sea Rescue boats used during the war. If you ever get a copy of "The Sea Shall not Have them" , they use two mark 2 RTTL s and mocked them up as the wartime boats.

This website will give you more info, just click on the photo gallery to the vast assortment of boats used by the RAF. They even had two minesweepers!

http://www.geocities.com/aj_p_joyce/

The photos below are of HMAFV Seal, a 102' RTTL launch, also known as the tin boats. The one of the crew, I am the one standing next to the officer on the lefthand side!

The other one is of Sea otter, the bigger boat and Spitfire.

Attached Files:

10. CTNana

CTNana Active Member

Thanks Morse.
    Only had a chance to skim that for the moment. I'm amazed; I thought you were using some sort of jargon. Never too old to learn eh?