Did you know that ...

Discussion in 'Barracks' started by liverpool annie, May 12, 2009.

1. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

A game of cricket was played during the Allied evacuation of the Gallipoli Peninsula in December 1915. It took place on Shell Green in an attempt to distract the Turks from the imminent departure of Australian troops. Shells were passing overhead all the time the game was in progress. In May 2001 the Australian Cricket Team visited the battlefields of Gallipoli, en-route to their tour of England, to pay homage to the thousands of Australians killed there during World War One.

Attached Files:

2. morten

morten Member

Distract the Turks? More likely sent them to sleep?:)

3. Dolphin

Dolphin New Member

I agree with Morten - it was more likely a plot to bore the Turks into submission.

Gareth

4. Cobber

Cobber New Member

I have heard of almost regular cricket matches being played through out the campaign at ANZAC Cove, and that is why they sent the men to play Cricket so the Turkish Forces would think that they are just mad men who love cricket and that alls well as it was before.
    A marvelous removal of so many troops with minimal to allmost NO loss, Though the last group to leave some of whom had arrived in April 25th and the ANZAC Campaign was now over,with Brits still at Cape Helles, who also got out in Jan 1916 with minimal casualties.

5. morten

morten Member

Glad that you agree, Gareth, as there is a dolphin on Poole's Coat of Arms. :D

Attached Files:

6. Dolphin

Dolphin New Member

Morten

It's very impressive. However, my Dolphin nom de keyboard comes from the Sopwith 5F.1 Dolphin fighter.

Cheers

Gareth

7. morten

morten Member

Just flying the flag for Poole, Gareth. Perhaps you could start an Aviation thread and explain the pos and cons of your Dolphin? I read that some pilots hated it because their head was placed in an exposed position and much preferred to fly a Camel. Best wishes. Morten