Discussion in 'Barracks' started by CTNana, May 27, 2008.

1. CTNana

CTNana Active Member

For the benefit of our newer members - ok to humour me - I would love to know the meaning of your chosen avatars and signatures.

As you can see I have given that little minx the boot in favour of some lovely poppies. I couldn't resist the reference to (CT)Nana, passing over one which lured one to the dark side to obtain chocolate!!

Seriously mine is a dedication to all of those who waited in vain for their loved ones!!!! Thanks to all of you there is more chance that

"We will remember them".

2. Roxy

Roxy Member

My avatar is the first Spitfire to arrive at RAF Woodvale; No 611 Sqn Sqn RAuxAF. It returned on the 50th Anniversary of its departure (coincident with the 50th anniversary of the renumbering of No 611 (RAF Woodvale) Sqn ATC).

My signature speaks for itself.

Roxy

3. morse1001

morse1001 Guest

I have the RAF Ensign for my avtar. My Sig has two parts, a picture of a RAF HSL picking up the crew of a downed halifax and a Latin phrase!

The phrase looks good in latin but means in English, "And, at these prices, you won't see many more kangaroos in this bar, either"

4. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Guest

My avatar is a DFM ribbon, which my great uncle Douglas Marks was awarded, the day before he was killed in action (he was also promoted to Pilot Officer on that day).

The text is a conversation between Jimmy Sellick and the CO of 685 Squadron, when he is told that he's being taken off flying for an extended period, after crash-landing a Lanc on the last mission of his third tour of thirty.

5. Kitty

Kitty New Member

My avi is currently Lady Death (long story don't ask)

My signatures are (posts this so she can actually look what they are)
    1. "Time is a great storyteller" - well it is through history.

2. Slinky + escalator - well its true!

3. I adore woodlands and have just finished my degree in Countryside Management & Leisure. I thought it apt.

6. Hugh

Hugh New Member

My avatar is the White Ensign of the Royal Navy which I was proud to serve in for 12 years.

My signature is my website embedded in the Red Duster the flag of the British Merchant Navy - the forgotten fourth service.

Regards
    Hugh

7. rlaughton

rlaughton http://www.militarian.com/account/avatar

That's my Mom in the WRENS in WWII!

In my signature is the logo for "Canada Company" which is a group of business men who have joined ranks with the Royal Regiment of Canada to raise funds for our troops in active service (Afghanistan) or in support in the reserves. It is a great way for those of us that are not in the military to partake in the process.

8. Adrian Roberts

Adrian Roberts Active Member

My avatar is the Shuttleworth collection's Gloster Gladiator (the only one flying I believe); I took the photo myself last year.

WW1 is also an interest of mine, especially but not exclusively the aviation aspect, so this biplane fighter seemed an apt link

9. Nostalgair

Nostalgair New Member

Great idea CTNana!...and it got me thinking.

My avatar was two Spitfires on approach at Duxford. However, having read the significance of other avatars, I decided to change mine.

My avatar now shows my father in the cockpit of a Gloster Meteor having returned from a mission over North Korea in 1952.

10. John

John Active Member

My avatar is of my best mate Suzi - a cross boxer who I had to have put down last year due to a growth on her brain. No signature as I don't know how to do that yet.

11. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

My avi is of a well known image representing a BoB pilot. My signature is of one of my favourite aircraft.

12. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Guest

Edit: I changed my sig to a conversation between Jimmy Sellick and his flight engineer, Sgt Roy Walliston, when Halifax III "S" Sugar is hit by flak over Berlin, sometime in late 1942, with the Pathfinders.

13. spidge

spidge Active Member

DEDICATION OF MEMORIAL:
    BETIO, TARAWA, KIRIBATI — 11 NOVEMBER 2002

A memorial commemorating the execution of 22 British subjects, mostly coast watchers, by the Japanese military in October 1942 was unveiled by the President of the Republic of the Republic of Kiribati, HE Mr Teberoro Tito, in Tarawa on Remembrance Day, 11 November 2002. The imposing 2.4 metre high stainless steel memorial is located at the Temakin Cemetery on Betio, part of Tarawa atoll, and commemorates the murder of the men 60 years ago on 15 October 1942, by the Japanese who had occupied the Gilbert and Ellice Islands Colony (part of which is now the Republic of Kiribati). Two Australians are listed as victims on the memorial in addition to three from Great Britain and 17 from New Zealand.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] The front of the new 2.4 metre stainless steel memorial to 22 Commonwealth Coastwatchers murdered by the Japanese in October 1942 on Betio, Tarawa, now part of the Republic of Kiribati
    HE Mr Colin Hill, Australian High Commissioner in Tarawa said that the new memorial replaces a monument on the same site which was showing its age and is a fitting tribute to these brave men who were on duty in the region at the outbreak of war in the Pacific. ‘The memorial will be a lasting reminder of the work these brave men did and their ordeal. It will be the focal point for future ANZAC Day and Remembrance Day activities.’
    [​IMG] [​IMG] above: The Tarawa Australian Defence Team and the new memorial. L-R LCDR Chris Hewitt (Maritime Surveillance Adviser), CPO Ross Fitzgerald (Technical Adviser), WGCDR Leigh Collins, Defence Adviser South Pacific, Mr Colin Hill, Australian High Commissioner in Tarawa and CPO David George (Technical Adviser)
    Mr Hill was the driving force behind the new memorial which was designed and constructed for the Office of Australian War Graves in conjunction with the three Commonwealth High Commissions in Tarawa (Australia, New Zealand and the UK) and with support from Australian corporate entities which do business in Kiribati — RHK Kiribati Limited and John Swire and Sons.
    While many may be aware of the famous Battle of Tarawa in which over 1,100 US Marines and nearly 4,700 Japanese died over three days between 20–22 November 1943, the earlier phase of the war in the Gilbert Island is less well known, including the fate of the local inhabitants and the activities of the mainly New Zealand coast watchers who remained behind after the Japanese occupied the Gilbert Islands at the outset of the war in the Pacific.
    Many Europeans escaped from the Gilbert Islands during the early months of the Japanese occupation before the garrison was expanded and treatment by the Japanese was less harsh. By October 1942, however, the Japanese had fortified Betio in anticipation of a US attack and had less tolerance for the remaining Europeans, particularly British subjects. Eyewitness accounts record that the men commemorated by the memorial were executed following an American air raid on Betio.
    Although their place of interment was known for a time, the heavy naval bombardment before and during the Battle of Tarawa the following year obliterated their common grave, although they are believed to have been originally buried a few hundred metres from the memorial site.
    In addition to the murdered coast watchers, the new memorial commemorates the hundreds of Gilbert and Ellice Islanders who died during the Pacific War. Although there is a commemoration plaque on the island of Banaba (previously known as Ocean Island) recording the deaths of local inhabitants during the war years 1942–45, this new memorial provides the first formal recognition on Tarawa.

14. John

John Active Member

Thanks for starting this thread CTNana as it is always nice to know what I am looking at with peoples avatars.
    John:lol:

15. Kitty

Kitty New Member

Go into UserCP (where you put in the link to your avi) and somewhere in the list on the left is edit signature. That will take you to two boxes which have a very similar controls to the box you write in to post.

If you wish to embed an image in your sig then I would suggest you host it offsite at somewhere like photobucket or imageshack, and then embed the image from the link they will create :becky:

16. CTNana

CTNana Active Member

Morse I don't believe it!!!!

I have periodically used my ancient schoolgirl Latin to try to translate that phrase but could never make any sense of it!!!! Does look impressive though!!!

Who can think of the joke to which that is the punch line?

17. CTNana

CTNana Active Member

Sincere condolences John. We too lost our last dog a year ago in similar circumstances. Heartbreaking. We made the decision not to have another dog (s) until we moved and were settled but had no idea that it might be this long. First time in well over forty years that we have been without a dog! Might sneak a trip to the rescue centre and present husband with a "fait accompli!

18. John

John Active Member

Thanks for the advise Kitty. Being a mere mortal male I will probally bugger it up.

John :decision:

19. penance

penance New Member

My Avatar is my Grandfather, taken while serving in North Africa.

Sig is an excerpt from order of the day received by my grandfather on August 15 1944 while in Rome.
    My grandfathers friend from the village they both lived in was one of the first to be killed when they went overseas. He was killed in April 1941 near the tobruk perimeter. A stuka dive bombed the HAA battery they manned, hitting a matador full of ackack ammo. Two killed and 28 wounded. The excerpt for me summed up what the survivors went thru for many years after the lose of friends.

The rats of Tobruk
    We will remember them.

20. morse1001

morse1001 Guest

A bear walks up to the bar and asks for a double rum and coke. The Barman gives the bear a drink and asks for £10.50. he says, "We dont get many bears in here"! to which the bear replies, .....

A white Horse walks into the same bar and asks for a bear. The barman served the beer and says, "We have a drink naamed after you"! "What"? replies the Horse, "You have a drink called George"!

Sorry, I thought this was the linebook!