Army Quiz

Discussion in 'Barracks' started by sniper, Nov 21, 2009.

1. Kitty

Kitty New Member

“The name tank first arose in British factories making the hulls of the first battle tanks: the workmen were given the impression they were constructing tracked water containers for the British Army, hence keeping the production of a fighting vehicle secret.”

2. Cobber

Cobber New Member

Thats right Kitty, your turn.

They made the impression that the tracked water tanks were for resupplying the forces in Egypt,and other desert type enviroments with water, which at the time wasn't a bad idea in it's self. (Thats imo)

3. Kitty

Kitty New Member

Hmm an army question.

How did the Eighth Army get its name?

4. Cobber

Cobber New Member

The Eighth Army was formed from the Western Desert Force in September 1941 and put under the command of Lieutenant-General Sir Alan Cunningham. It got its number from the fact that the French had fielded seven armies previously in the same war.

5. Kitty

Kitty New Member

aint Wiki grand?

Your turn Cobber

6. Cobber

Cobber New Member

yes Wiki is grand,
    Sorry I got so lazy instead of turning my words on i just c&p it that time.

will get some q's up in very near future

7. Cobber

Cobber New Member

Since we seem to get a lot of Brit and Aussie questions here's one concerning our US friends

The first US Rangers were selected from which Infantry Division who were allready trained infantry men.

8. DFC

DFC New Member

The first rangers were selected from the 34th Infantry Division doing further training in the UK
    Cheers Tony

9. Cobber

Cobber New Member

Correct Tony your go.

10. DFC

DFC New Member

Which 2 Australian battalions where the only 2 to fight all the enemy's of the allies .German,Italian,Japanese,Vichy french one other i think sudden mental blank
    cheers Tony

11. Cobber

Cobber New Member

2/3rd

2/5th

Both from the 6th Division.

12. DFC

DFC New Member

Yes, i have a chap from the 2/5 his service record copies are a who who of who been there and done that.
    Must be your turn
    Cheers

13. Cobber

Cobber New Member

Open to anyone who wishes to ask a question.

14. DFC

DFC New Member

What were the chocos famous for in 1942 ?

15. spidge

spidge Active Member

The Italian 3rd Dragoons Savoia Cavalry Regiment conducting one of the last charges by horse mounted soldiers in modern warfare. (against the Russians).

16. spidge

spidge Active Member

When all said and done, the (3) Aussie divisions did bloody well for a group of volunteers, trained in a hurry and sent to the Middle East.

They were first to beat the Italians - Bardia 6/1/1941 and Tobruk 21/22 January 1941

First to beat the Germans and their Blitzkrieg - Moreshead's 9th Division and 7th divisions (1) brigade April 1941 and continued to deny it to Rommel and the Afrika Korps for (8) months which became the longest seige in British Military history.

First to beat the Vichy French

First to beat the Japanese after they had made a beachhead - Milne Bay August 1942.

Possibly added to that was the 9th divisions action at El Alamein where their determination to again deny the Afrika Korps led to them taking 20% of all 8th army casualties of 13,700 from the battle which led to praise from all quarters:

Pound for pound they acquitted themselves admirably.

17. Cobber

Cobber New Member

Yes i agree for just 3 Divisons they allowed many British troops to utilsed elsewhere especially during large parts of 1941. It is a pity that they never got the chance to fight as a combined corp.

18. spidge

spidge Active Member

Monty definitely liked them (9th Div) . I have a story of an Australian officer who went in on D-Day. At his first HQ meeting, Monty looked at him and said " I see you weren't with the 9th then" and proceeded to ignore him."

Funnily enough the Aussies were not liked or given much credit early after their fathers and Uncles left their mark of disrespect for "pommie" officers.

19. Cobber

Cobber New Member

As for Choco's do you mean the out numbered AMF troops of the 39th Btn who while being very well lead fought a reasonably successful campaign of withdrawal long the Kokoda Track or possibly the AMF troops who along with the AIF fought at Milne Bay,

It is funny that even today the AIF are the force mentioned as the main fighters when the troops of the AMF fought just as well, often with much less training and equipment. The AMF had almost as many numbers in combat units as the AIF in the Jungles. Three (3) AIF Divisions plus all the Commandos etc vs Two (2) AMF Divisions who also had several Brigade size units
    In regards to Spidge's post the Australians were and still are in some writings described as British forces.
    I was in a book shop reading a newish book that deals with hundreds of battles and sieges and it described Tobruk during the initial siege as being defended by British troops they include both the Easter Battle and the battle that created the 'salient' and it's subsequent battles as being fought by British troops, however they do go to the trouble of mentioning the Poles, and Sth Africans. Of course during the entire siege their were large amounts of Brits from Inft/Arty to supply line, however as is widely known while the Aussie Infantry were their they made up the majority of forward infantry units.

20. spidge

spidge Active Member