Army Quiz

Discussion in 'Barracks' started by sniper, Nov 21, 2009.

1. Cobber

Cobber New Member

Is it Pourville?

Is it Belleville or Neuville?

From what I know and that is not necessarily that much, The commandos hit several what could be called villages on both flanks

2. Golden Wattle

Golden Wattle New Member

All,
    The info i'm working from says it was Varengeville, which is about 3 1/2 miles from Dieppe.
    However after more research, I'll accept Berneval,

Your Question Cobber.

GW

3. Cobber

Cobber New Member

I'll get one down tonight my time.

4. Cobber

Cobber New Member

I spent more time last night trying to find a question
    This is close to being a all Aussie question I think i need to open up to the more detailed accounts of other armie's.

I have chosen the hot combat parachuting in of a Light battery of the 2/4 Arty Regt at Nazdeb in the Markham Valley.

Some back ground:
    It is often said that these men had no training in para work this apparently is incorrect with Major General Vasey having 4 officers and 30 OR's from the light gun section trained in Parachuting. The CO of USA 503 Parachute Regt heard of these men and went and asked for volunteers of which he got all 34 Officers & men and their two Guns.
    Subsequently they jumped and managed to have one Gun up and siting in shots with in Half a hour.
    The majority of 2/4th armed primarily with standard 25 Pounders landed by air craft sometime later.

Finally guys the Question

This Battery though using the 25 Pounder they were not typical 25 pounders, what was the main difference between between this version of 25 pounders guns and other standard model 25 pounders?

5. Cobber

Cobber New Member

Well since no body answered I'll give the answer,
    Easy to find (google) even with all the info i passed on.

They were shortened Barrelled versions also usually had no armour shield, along with other changes.

At first they were the guns human or air carried forward in pieces to inaccessible places in PNG they were primarily used as support fire and to blast the Japanese troops out of their earth wood & concrete bunkers very heavy recoil as well as a couple of other small but easy to deal with problems.
    Once the battles were being supported by normal 25 pounders and such the Short 25 Pounder was used on bunkers and finally was pooled to be bought into battle only on need.

Who ever wants it can have the next question

6. spidge

spidge Active Member

Hi Cobber,

I have been busy all weekend with work and a Parish Fete. Sorry I was not here to have a go.

Next question is an Australian one also.

What was the first non-Australian territory captured by Australian troops during the Pacific War?

7. Golden Wattle

Golden Wattle New Member

Hi Cobber,
    I did read your question and researched the answer...I luv Google.
    However as I just had my turn, I didn't answer.
    Good question by the way, it took me back to that campaign,Aussies :israel:jumping with arty, great idea.

Cheers

8. sniper

sniper Active Member

Going for a complete guess but maybe Papa New Guinea

Sniper

9. spidge

spidge Active Member

No Sniper.

New Guinea was an Australian protectorate.

10. Cobber

Cobber New Member

Spidge I'm not trying to answer the question here just a question, are you asking which actual territory or which locations in a forgein territory were first liberated/captured by Australian troops.

Cheers
    Cobber

11. Cobber

Cobber New Member

Sadau Island.

12. spidge

spidge Active Member

Which was the first place the Australians "invaded" and defeated the Japanese that was not already a territory or protectorate of Australia - Eg it could not have been New Guinea.

Cheers

Geoff

13. Cobber

Cobber New Member

Spidge thanks mate
    So it's not territory's in the true sense it could be smaller parts of a territory such as Tarakin for example.

14. spidge

spidge Active Member

15. Cobber

Cobber New Member

Since i just had a go, whoever wants this one can blaze away.
    Maybe a member not from Australia should have it.

16. Kitty

Kitty New Member

Sure you want to throw it open Cobber? Its ok to ask a question even if you've just set one recently, just remember we're not all from down South :D

17. Cobber

Cobber New Member

At the completion of the final battle for El Alamein Churchill ordered what to happen in Britian?

18. spidge

spidge Active Member

The ringing of Church Bells all over Britain.

19. Cobber

Cobber New Member

Good one mate.
    I hand ball the quiz over to you Spidge.

20. Cobber

Cobber New Member

A easy one to get Army quiz up again.

Why are Tanks called Tanks?