Air Quiz

Discussion in 'Barracks' started by Kyt, Oct 19, 2007.

1. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

I think we need some fun and games on here. So time to start the Air Quiz.

First Question:

Who or what were Frobisher, Fiona and Fingal?

2. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

DH Albatross' (Albatrosseseseses?). Less than 10 built in late 30s but built using same wood "sandwich" used in the Mossie. Configured as mail planes or passenger planes. I think they saw war service but most pranged and anything left was scrapped. There were others with "F" names as well.

Four engined jobbies too, reckon they would have sounded cool. Wonder if they were put into "uniform".

3. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Hmmm, now should I give you that? Tell me who I've named were and you get bonus points

4. Antipodean Andy

Three of the passenger versions that flew in airline hands? There were only a couple of mail planes I think so since you've given three names I've put two and two together and no doubt come up with 54!

Sooo much more interesting trawling through my brain than trawling through my email account for the news items I need to put in my e-mag!

5. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Yep, they were three of the five Albatrosses used by BOAC:

Frobisher Destroyed by enemy action Whitchurch 20.12.40
    Falcon Scrapped 9.43
    Fortuna Crashed nr Shannon 6.7.43
    Fingal Crashed Pucklechurch 6.10.40
    Fiona Scrapped 9.43

Your go, Andy

6. morse1001

morse1001 Guest

The RAF flew two AX903 and AX904 with 271 sqdn

Attached Files:

7. Antipodean Andy

Ooh, pretty plane, Morse!

Okay, um, shouldn't have answered question if had to come with one myself...

I am the Spirit of Britain First and I had a particular claim to fame that was rather embarrassing to others. Who/What am I and what was this claim to fame?

8. morse1001

morse1001 Guest

Just of the top of my head! Was that not the name given to the Blenheim prototype!

9. Antipodean Andy

Keep going, Morse...

10. morse1001

morse1001 Guest

I seem to remember that it developed for Lord Rothermere the newspaper magnate and was faster then the fighters thenin service.

11. Antipodean Andy

Now hear this...

It's Morse's go!

Onya mate! :clapping:

12. morse1001

morse1001 Guest

What was the reasons given by the RAF for rejecting the B17 as a bomber?

13. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Well, the initially receieved B-17Cs but these had problems with pressurization and the fact that the guns kept freezing. However, to the fair to the Americans, they hadn't been willingto send them over anyway because they thought they weren't combat ready

14. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

As regards what I was saying about the B17C, you maybe interested in these

Attached Files:

15. Adrian Roberts

Adrian Roberts Active Member

So the USAAF and Boeing were well involved with the getting the B17 operational with the RAF, even before America entered the war.

And its interesting how much whole projects can stand or fall on small peripheral details, in this case the oxygen supply and deicing arrangements. 35000 feet is as high as a modern airliner flies, no wonder the windscreens were freezing on the inside.

16. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

We all know that the USA provided a lot material before they entered the war but it is interesting to see actual evidence of such co-operation.

The RAF had rather high expectations of the aircraft (no pun intended)

17. spidge

spidge Active Member

With no physical proof, I would say that this cooperation was only the tip of the iceberg.

America/Roosevelt knew they would eventually be drawn into the war and it was going to be a global conflict. War with Japan was inevitable however their aim was around late 42/ Early 43.

They needed allies as well and they needed Britain and Russia to stay in the race. Britain was the key, because if it fell, Germany would have only been fighting on one front in Europe and could possibly have defeated the Soviets and taken control of mainland Europe.

18. morse1001

morse1001 Guest

Interesting stuff! Where did you get the info?

19. morse1001

morse1001 Guest

This is a photo of Fortress I AN530 which was the first fortress to engage enemy fighters.

Attached Files:

• B17C.jpg
      B17C.jpg
      File size:
      899.2 KB
      Views:
  20. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

It was passed onto me by a member of another forum (no, not THAT one :becky:)

A brief history of the RAF B17s:

http://home.att.net/~jbaugher2/b17_6.html

and a picture of AN523

Attached Files: