5 November 1605

Discussion in 'Barracks' started by preacherbob50, Dec 5, 2014.

1. preacherbob50

preacherbob50 Active Member

It seems there is a tradition in the U.K. regarding a gentleman named Guy Hawkes today. From what I hear, today memorializes the attempt to blow up parliment along with King George I back in 1605. The small research I have done simply says that piles of burning hay, or wood with the ephigy of Guy Hawkes hanging above it appears all over England.

I am very sure that Aghart or other U.K. writers can illuminate this ill informed American and give a little better history on the subject if it is indeed an important rememberance.

2. Interrogator#6

Interrogator#6 Active Member

"Penny for the Guy. penny for the Guy!" rang the familiar cry of the wee bairnes English each year as they trooped their scarecrow through the neighbourhood. They seek cashe with which they might purchase their firecrackers whose reports will fill the twilight as their Guy is burnt. Though it were many a year ago the Brits keep this tradition alive, even though few know why the Gunpowder Plot was concieved.

Yet every night in the hallways below Parliment a cerimonous hunt for the kegs of gunpowder is re-enacted.

3. preacherbob50

Too cool #6! I keep spinning several different scenarios now in my mind about the gunpowder hunt you described. One includes a half dozen regulars led by a higher rank marching through the lower level and stopping at several strategic points in a very proper military manner and another of several soldiers scattering and running through the basement halls as children looking for Easter eggs. Some thoughts are of a somber nature and others are hilarious. Perhaps not knowing is more fun but if you wish you can enlighten me as to the real proceedings.

Not that some American ceremonies aren't strange, but I am used to them. British and Canadian historical events are more fun.

Thanks for the insight #6.

4. Interrogator#6

Interrogator#6 Active Member

If you recall several weeks ago I broached the subject of the battle of Lepanto (7 Oct., 1571) which lead to the campaign of the Spanish Armada (1588) as his most supreme Catholic majesty attempted to lead the wayward English back to the fold and away from their Protestant errors. A dozen years later forces of the Catholic faction in England, backed by the Spanish gold, concieved of the idea of detroying Parliament building and paid for Guy Fawles to do so. He nearly succeeded.

The next highlight of English History might be the English Civil War (circa 1642) where Parliament went so far as to kill the King for the crime of being too Catholic. This lead to the "dictatorship of Cromwell" and that lead to the restoration of the Monarchy.

For the record I am an Amerikan, tovarich.

5. preacherbob50

I don't recall saying you weren't an American #6. But, I do trust some of your British insight because, as you told Kate, your mother (?) was from England and you grew up in a British atmosphere. Also, you like the BBC. For the tougher questions regarding the Brit's, I'd bet on Aghart. It takes a bit, but as you already know, after a little time you get used to the regulars in this forum and get to know which histories fit which person.
    Nice talkin' with you and thanks for a little more info. Check you later
    Numero seis.

6. Alexander

Alexander Member

Whilst it is custom/tradition to burn Guy Fawkes in effigy on a bonfire - his school St Peter's of York does not do so as it is deemed unfitting to burn old boys (Old Peterites) - even in effigy.

https://archive.org/stream/narrativeofgunpo00jard#page/n7/mode/2up

1605: (a few documents may be found in Norman French the official language of the English parliament then (still is for some documents).

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/search.aspx?query=1605 plot

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/source.aspx?pubid=1175

Last edited: Dec 7, 2014