WW2 folk art

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by steve willis, Jun 30, 2015.

1. steve willis

steve willis New Member

I recently purchased 2 items from an estate sale. one of the paintings has hundreds of signatures and I am looking for info on these people and groups

Attached Files:

• ww2.JPG
      ww2.JPG
      File size:
      1,017.1 KB
      Views:
    jrj1701 likes this.
  2. Wikipedia has a small page for this group containing some information but here is the Coles notes version, lol. The 379th Sqn was assigned to the 362nd Fighter Group, Second Air Force when established in early 1943. When transferred to England later that year they became part of the Ninth Air Force where they finished the remainder of the European War. They started the war like many others, flying P-47 Thunderbolts against the Luftwaffe flying out of England but also spent time at air fields in France and later Germany. After the European War ended they were in the process of being transferred to the First Air Force in the Pacific theater of operations until the A-Bombs were dropped which brought a sudden end to the war and they stayed Stateside but then equipped with new P-51's for training. They were deactivated in August 1946 due to "post war budget restrictions".
    Here is a link to what I think is a more in depth history of the group. Hope this helps!
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_qjJbH2gOxVSzVQdjQtMFRJWlk/edit

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
    Showmethefacts and jrj1701 like this.