WW1 men born or connected with the Poole/Bournemouth, Dorset Area

Discussion in 'Looking for someone' started by morten, Mar 18, 2009.

1. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

I missed one ....... :)

Attached Files:

2. liverpool annie

Found this young soldier here ...... not sure what happened to him ........

AT THE FRONT - A LIST OF MANXMAN ON SERVICE ... this is Boer War !

GILL, Thomas Howard, son of the late Rev. Thomas Howard Gill and nephew of the Ven. Hugh S. Gill, Archdeacon of Man. His mother at present resides at Bournemouth. He is 2nd Lieutantant in the Royal Artillery and belongs to the 21st Field Battery. He was present with the troops at Ladysmith. He is unmarried and is about 23 years of age.

FITZ-HERBERT - Captain Henry - Royal Berkshire Regt.
    Wounded at Murraysburg. Died of wounds 11th Jan. 1901. Aged 31. Son of John Knight Fitz-Herbert, of Twynham, Bournemouth. Born June 1862. Served in the Sudan 1885 (medal 2 clasps, Khedives star). Captured at Colenso, but later released.

And this is a sad story .....

In Memory of
    Private WILLIAM JOSEPH PUNCH

5435, 1st Bn., Australian Infantry, A.I.F.
    who died age 37
    on 29 August 1917
    Native of Queensland.

Remembered with honour
    BOURNEMOUTH EAST CEMETERY

An Aborigine who was the sole survivor of a brutal attack in which his entire family was massacred in 1880, was brought up by a white family in country New South Wales and later fought for Australia in World War I.

William Joseph Punch was wounded twice while fighting, first in Belgium and later in France, both times being evacuated to England for treatment, but he eventually died of pneumonia at Mont Dore Hospital in Bournemouth, England.

http://www.australiansatwar.gov.au/stories/stories.asp?war=W1&id=3

3. liverpool annie

Do you have this list Morten ?

The following is the hospitals in and around the Bournemouth area and taken from “Bournemouth and the First World War” by M A Edgington, Bournemouth Local Studies Publications,1985.

Apart from the established hospitals, and the Mont Dore which was a military hospital under the War Office supervision, the local auxiliary hospitals, set up for the large number of wounded sent to the town, were mostly large houses which had rooms suitable for conversion into wards. Some also had large grounds in which marquees or huts were erected.

All the hospitals were staffed by trained nurses, some of whom were members of either the Red Cross or the St. John Ambulance Brigade, and many VAD’s.

Boscombe Military Hospital, Shelly Road.
    Surgeon-in-Charge: W. F. Stevenson, C.B., K.H.S, A.M.S. Shortly after the commencement of the war the Hospital Authority proposed to the War Office that they should provide 200 beds for the sick and wounded who might be sent to Bournemouth. This was approved and marquees were erected in the grounds of the Royal Victoria and West Hants Hospital, Shelly Road.

Crag Head Red Cross Hospital, Manor Road.
    Opened in by the Red Cross in Oct 1914 as a convalescent home for wounded soldiers from the Royal Victoria Hospital, Netley. The hospital originally provided 100 beds and was divided into 14 wards arranged on 3 floors. The hospital was under the supervision of Surgeon-General Stevenson of Boscombe Military Hospital. The hospital was closed at the end of 1918. Crag Head was demolished in 1972 and a block of luxury flats erected on the site in 1973.

Grata Quies Auxiliary Hospital, 29 Western Avenue, Branksome Park, Poole. First opened on 21st Nov 1914 with 40 beds and by May 1915 had another 30. The hospital closed on 18th Mar 1919.

Heron Court Auxiliary Hospital, Hurn, Christchurch.
    First opened on 4th Nov 1914 originally there were two wards one with 12 beds and the other 8. This was later extended by erection of a hut giving an extra 10 beds. The hospital was intended for NCO & men on convalescent who didn’t need a great deal of nursing. The hospital closed in Dec 1918 and is now (1985) Hurn Court School.

Mont Dore Military Hospital, Bourne Avenue, Bournemouth.
    The Mont Dore Hotel was taken over by the War Office for conversion into a hospital 20th Nov 1914, for the Indian Wounded. After the withdrawal of the Indian Army Corps from France in Nov 1915, Mont Dore became a British Military Hospital. In 1918 the hospital was changed yet again into a convalescent home for Officers and in Nov 1918 many of the patients were Officers repatriated from POW camps. It closed in 1919 but didn’t revert to a hotel as it was purchased by the Bournemouth Corporation for use as the Town Hall.

St John Ambulance Brigade Hospital, 2 Bodorgan Road.

The hospital was opened in Nov 1915 as an auxiliary hospital with 25 beds, increased later to 27. Then in 1917 two marquees each with 15 beds were provided by the War Office. Originally it took only local cases from the troops billeted in the town and the camps in the area, but later received patients from the front. From 28th Apr 1916 it became an Annexe to the Boscombe Military Hospital. From Nov 1915 to 28th Feb 1919 when it close 1,414 patients were admitted, of whom only 5 died.

Stourwood Auxiliary Hospital, 3 Bracken Road, Southbourne.

An auxiliary hospital for the Boscombe Military Hospital, Shelly Road, under the supervision of Surgeon-General Stevenson. This was a newly built house just before the war its first tenants were wounded soldiers the first batch were wounded Belgians straight from the front on 1st Dec 1914 the initial number of beds provided was 10 which was eventually increased in May 1915 to 30. Later two large marquees each containing 16 beds were provided. The total number of patients treated is unknown. The figure for Nov 1918 was 1317 it finally closed down after Christmas 1918.

Other Local Military and Auxiliary Hospitals.

Balmer Lawn Hotel Brockenhurst - 100 beds. Originally for Indian troops.

Barton-on-Sea Convalescent Camp – originally used for Indian troops, it was later an English Military hospital. About 35,000 men passed through Barton in the 3 years it was open. It closed in Mar 1919.

Branksome Gate Hospital – for Wounded Officers, Western Avenue, Branksome Park. Opened Jun 1916.

Brownsea Island – “Mrs Van Raalte, owner of Brownsea Island, does valuable work in taking severe cases of officers suffering from shell-shock and nervous break-downs and doing wonders in the way of restoring them to health” - Bournemouth Daily Echo.

Christchurch Red Cross Hospital – started in Oct 1914 with 50 beds which increased until in mid 1918, when it could accommodate 300 patients. By the time it closed in Jan 1919 it had treated 5,000 patients. The buildings that were used are now (1985) part of the Christchurch Hospital.

Cornelia Hospital – two new wards were built for the wounded, having 60 beds.

Forest Park Hotel, Brockenhurst – 100 beds. Set up for Indian troops.

Sandacres, Shore Road, Parkstone – Sir Ernest Cassel’s Convalescent Home for Soldiers.
    Sandhills, Mudeford – a Red Cross Auxiliary Hospital of 20 beds.

Springfield, Castle Hill, Parkstone – a Red Cross Auxiliary Hospital for convalescent troops.

Somerley Manor, Ringwood – convalescent home for Officers.

South Lytchett Manor – a Red Cross Auxiliary Hospital of 40 beds.

Thorney Hill Auxiliary Hospital, Bransgore – attached to the New Zealand Hospital, Brockenhurst.

Westworth Lodge, Southbourne – convalescent home for Officers.

Nursing Homes for the Belgium Wounded.
    Aston Grays, Knole Road.
    Miss Barger’s, Dorset House, Kimberley Road.
    Miss Brighams’s Westways, Forrest Road, Branksome Park.
    Herbert Convalescent Home, Alumhurst Road – used entirely of Belgiums from Oct 1914 to Jun 1915. It had 60 Beds.
    Home of Good Hope, Portchester Road.
    Miss Judkin’s, Fernside, St. Stephen’s Road.
    Miss Rowley’s, St. Catherine’s, 25.27 Middle Road.
    Dr Scorer’s, 19 Christchurch Road.
    Stagsden, 14 West Cliff Road.
    Mrs Wilison’s, Mont Serrat, 24 Lorne Park Road.

Plus
    Royal Victoria Hospital, Lowther Road. Sometimes known as Miss Churcher’s, who was the Sister in Charge. The building is now (1985) the Teacher’s Centre.

Heres pictures of a NZ Sapper ....

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/passchendaelle/AlbumForIain#

4. liverpool annie

Soren took the pictures for somebody else .... !! :)

In Memory of
    Captain ROBERT MASON JACKSON FRENCH

Royal Welsh Fusiliers
    who died age 23
    on 19 February 1916
    Son of Mr. I. M. French, of Jumpers House, Christchurch, Hants.

Remembered with honour

In Memory of
    Sapper CHARLES FEBEY

59104, Tunnelling Coy., New Zealand Engineers
    who died age 27
    on 13 February 1918
    Son of Christina Costin (formerly Febey), of Goodley, Tasmania, and the late James Febey.

Remembered with honour

5. morten

morten Member

Thanks Annie for taking all that trouble to send the list from “Bournemouth and the First World War” by M A Edgington. I have read the booklet - it was the first one that I saw about how the war affected my area. However my notes in pencil have faded a bit so your list will still come in handy. Also - thanks for the pics of Sapper CHARLES FEBEY. I have photographed his grave site myself but the other photos are very interesting.
    Hadn't come across Frederick McNess though, so many thanks for that - oh and Henry James Knight is of great interest to me. He was one of "yours" though i.e. King's Liverpool Regiment. I would really like to find out about his WW1 record. I'm sure that he retired to pension as a Sgt. although many books have him listed as Captain. I believe that his VC is at the KLR Museum. Thanks for info re - Gill & Fitz- Herbert too!!! :D

6. liverpool annie

7. morten

morten Member

Thanks Annie. Very interesting to read about such an early aviator, from my area too! :)

8. liverpool annie

Heres a couple more Morten ... though you may have these already ...... !

I think this is John Oswald Baldwin who lived in Bournemouth !

In Memory of
    Private J O BALDWIN

46367, 16th Coy., Machine Gun Corps (Infantry)
    who died
    on 18 October 1917

Remembered with honour
    NOEUX-LES-MINES COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION

Maurice was born in Dublin but lived in Bournemouth .....

In Memory of
    Captain MAURICE LEA COOPER

D F C

"B" Flight 213th Sqdn., Royal Air Force
    who died age 19
    on 02 October 1918
    Only son of John Hall Cooper and Gertrude Lea Cooper, of 25, Eglinton Rd., Dublin.

Remembered with honour
    DADIZEELE NEW BRITISH CEMETERY

http://books.google.com/books?id=7K...m8DSBQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1

9. morten

morten Member

Yes Annie , I've "got 'em" but you didn't know that so thanks for posting. Hope you don't get the "hump"? Regards Morten

10. liverpool annie

Moi ? ... perish the thought !! :D

11. liverpool annie

Do you have this one Morten ?? :rolleyes:

Walter Oswald Watt DSO, OBE (11 February 1878–21 May 1921) was an Australian aviator.

Watt was born in Bournemouth, England. His mother died when Watt was one and the family moved to Sydney, Australia
    In his 11th year, he returned to England to be educated at Clifton College, Bristol. Watt later studied at Trinity College, Cambridge University, receiving a BA in 1899. He returned to Sydney in 1900, was commissioned as a Second Lieutenant in the New South Wales Scottish Rifles and in 1902 was appointed an aide-de-camp to the Governor of New South Wales He bought several cattle stations in New South Wales. He received an MA from Cambridge in 1904.
    Watt took flying lessons and obtained the Royal Aero Club certificate in England in 1911. He spent several months in Egypt in 1913, flying a Blériot XI.

When World War I broke out, Watt joined the Aviation Militaire section of the French Foreign Legion During his time there, he won the Légion d'honneur and the Croix de Guerre. He transferred to the Australian Flying Corps in 1916 as a Captain and was made commander of B Flight, No. 1 Squadron, stationed in Egypt.
    In September 1916, Watt was promoted to Major and took command of No. 2 Squadron. By February 1918, he was a Lieutenant Colonel and in command of the Australian training wing (Nos 5, 6, 7 and 8 Squadrons) at Tetbury, Gloucestershire, England.

After the war, Watt returned to Australia and elected president of the New South Wales section of the Australian Aero Club. He had several business interests including shipping, mining and art. He drowned at Bilgola, New South Wales, on 21 May 1921 and was buried with full military honours. He was survived by his only son.
    In his will, Watt left the residue of his estate to the University of Sydney.

12. liverpool annie

13. morten

morten Member

Thanks anyway Annie. I would rather look twice than miss someone so you have my full and utter pardon - on this occasion. ;)

14. liverpool annie

Heres an interesting death notice ... not what you asked for though Morten ... but interesting just the same !!! :)

The Illustrated London News of Nov. 9, 1907

15. morten

morten Member

Thanks Annie. As you say, very interesting. I have come across the name of Dashwood (probably in newspaper). I have a bit of info in my notes re-Annesley John Garrett; born 4 Jan 1846, fought in the Afghan War (1879-81) and was wounded in the Defence of Kandahar. Promoted to rank of Lt. 6 Oct 1868, Capt. 29 May 1878, Major 29 May 1886, & Lt. Col 29 May 1892.:)

16. liverpool annie

Do you have this young man Morten ??

HODGSON Richard Eveleigh

Lieutenant, 204 Squadron, Royal Air Force formerly 4th Battalion, The King's (Liverpool Regiment). Died 15th September 1918. Aged 24. Son of Mr. and Mrs. C. H. Hodgson, of Flat 3, 4, Bodorgan Rd., Bournemouth. Resident of Sherborne, Dorset. Buried in COXYDE MILITARY CEMETERY, Koksijde, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium. Plot II. Row K. Grave 17.

Extract from du Ruvigny's Roll of Honour -

HODGSON, RICHARD EVELEIGH, Lieut., 4th (Extra Reserve) Battn. The King's Liverpool Regt., attd. Royal Air Force, elder s. of Charles Herbert Hodgson, of Wharton, Sherborne, Assistant Master of Sherborne School, by his wife, Leonora Mary Cecilia, dau. of the Rev. G. E. Saunders; and brother to Capt. F. H. Hodgson (q.v.); b. Sherborne, 11 March, 1894; educ. St. Christopher's, Eastbourne; Sherborne School, and New College, Oxford; gazetted 2nd Lieut. The King's (Liverpool Regt.) in Sept. 1914; served with the Expeditionary Force in France and Flanders from the following May; was invalided to England in April, 1917, to undergo an operation for appendicitis; on recovery joined the Royal Air Force; obtained his Wings in July, 1918; returned to France the following Aug., and was killed in action near Dunkirk 16 Sept. 1918. Buried at Coxyde. Lieut. Hodgson won an Entrance Scholarship to Sherborne School in 1908; was head of the School and captain of the Cricket Eleven in 1912-13, and won a Leaving Exhibition in 1913; was also a Member of the M.C.C.

http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Middlesex/LordsWW1.html

Attached Files:

17. liverpool annie

Pierrefonds (Les Bains) Communal Cemetery
    Oise, France

Pierrefonds is a small town situated on the D973 Compiegne/Villers-Cotterets road in the Department of the Oise. It is approximately half-way between the two towns. The cemetery is on the left-hand side of the road on the entry to Pierrefonds from Marienval. In the western part of the cemetery, in the French Military plot is buried a Warrant Officer of the Royal Field Artillery

Warrant Officer Class II Ernest Henry RUMSEY. 125th Bty. Royal Field Artillery. 31st Aug. 1914, aged 32. Son of Edwin and Harriet Rumsey of 15 Hyde Churchpath, Winchester, Hants; husband of Leah Emily Rumsey of Ivy Cottage, Talbot Village, Bournemouth

picture by Barry Cuttell

Attached Files:

18. morten

morten Member

Thanks Annie. I've come across the name of R. E. Hodgson but the extra info. about him is most welcome, as is the info re- E. H. Rumsey. Morten

19. liverpool annie

You're welcome !! :)

How you doing with your soldiers ? ..... have you got a good start on your Honour Roll now ?

Don't forget to let us see it !! :D

20. liverpool annie

I was thinking that these two soldiers were father and son ?? ..... but I don't think they were ! :( too big an age difference to be brothers I think - but not an impossibility !

In Memory of
    Private ALFRED BUSCALL

72232, 1st/6th Bn., Cheshire Regiment
    who died age 19
    on 21 September 1918
    Son of John and Hannah Elizabeth Buscall, of 32, Coronation Avenue, Moordown, Bournemouth.

Remembered with honour
    TYNE COT MEMORIAL

In Memory of
    Lance Corporal JOHN BUSCALL

25008, 13th Bn., Middlesex Regiment
    who died age 35
    on 25 August 1917
    Son of Mr. and Mrs. John Buscall; husband of D. F. Buscall, of 28, Crichel Rd., Winton, Bournemouth. Born at Forest Gate, London.

Remembered with honour
    ZANTVOORDE BRITISH CEMETERY