Worst Destruction

Discussion in 'World War 1' started by DancingLady, Nov 13, 2014.

1. DancingLady

DancingLady Member

What do you feel was the worst destruction caused by the war? Besides human casualties, there were forests destroyed, land ruined, buildings destroyed. Does any one thing stick out to you as the worst thing?

2. Diptangshu

Diptangshu Active Member

Probably in last year we were discussing about the pathetic condition of the millions of ANIMALS (history of Organic Cavalry/artillery-WW1), been used to carry Loads (from ammo to food) up to Every front.
    Horses, mules, oxen, dogs, donkeys even pigeons too made involve to meet the needs of logistical apparetus, messaging etc.
    Very few them received honor, 200 times of which killed in the battle, at least same of this left wounded and at least 1/2 of them had been 'lucky enough' to be treated in the vet hospitals, temporarily made in France, Britain and very few other places. Most pathetic was that (to me) these ill fated animals been sent to the slaughter houses, immediately after the War! I don't know how many of them had received this reward, since they were the Beast of Burden ¿¡ !
    Sorry to my good forum members for telling such 'disgusting' matter, but it seems to me no less destructive. I know that no body will be liking to read these .... but they are the part of military history!
    Argentina and some other countries opened special breeding farms to produce and export to earn some good revenue. Germany also opened new departments for 'recruiting' animals. No less destructive ..

3. DancingLady

DancingLady Member

That certainly isn't pleasant to hear, but back then "beasts of burden" were viewed entirely differently than animals are viewed today. People were a little more accustomed to the idea of an animal having a use and not taking their fate personally.

4. Diptangshu

Diptangshu Active Member

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014