World War I era Navy Recruiting Posters

Discussion in 'World War 1' started by liverpool annie, May 9, 2009.

1. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

Sometimes it's fascinating to read the background of things we take for granted !! :)

During the First World War - Howard Chandler Christy's Navy enlistment posters were credited by Navy Secretary Franklin D. Roosevelt - with having recruited thousands. One in particular which has since become a collectors item .... depicts a plucky "Christy Girl" decked out in navy blues with the words "Gee, I wish I were a MAN, I'd join the NAVY." Though somewhat sexist by today's standards - the thousands of Navy enlistees were no doubt glad she wasn't a man !! :)

"Gee!! I Wish I Were A Man"
    Navy Recruiting Poster by artist Howard Chandler Christy, issued in 1917.
    Collections of the Library of Congress.

Mrs. E. LeRoy Finch, of Port Washington, New York accepts a plaque from Captain Robert L. Latta, senior Navy recruiter in New York City, during a ceremony at the home of her daughter, 30 January 1977. The plaque recognizes her long-time assistance to the Navy's recruiting efforts.
    Mrs. Finch was the model for the World War I Howard Chandler Christy recruiting poster "Gee!! I Wish I Were a Man", a copy of which is also seen in this photograph.
    Official U.S. Navy Photograph.

Attached Files:

2. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member