WORLD WAR - Did my Grandfather serve in Royal Sussex Regt?

Discussion in 'World War 1' started by RoyWillard, Aug 12, 2018.

1. RoyWillard

RoyWillard New Member

Good afternoon,

Can somebody help me or point me in the right direction?

I have researched my Mother and Father's Family History over the last 3 or 4 years and compiled a document that dates back to c.1800. I have deliberately chosen that cut off date in order to focus on family members that I have known throughout my life and limited my research to their: Parents, Grandparents, Children and Siblings.

The life of my Grandfather: GEORGE HENRY WILLARD (b: 9 June 1886--d: 20 Aug 1965) has been the focal point of my research, I have found it a very interesting and rewarding challenge to learn about him and his life. Every now and again I come across information about him that counters what I know and is at odds at what Family members have told me.

Throughout my life (I am 72yrs, born in 1946) I was under the impression that my Grandfather did not undertake any Military Service. In recent times I found that in 1904 at the age of 17yrs he joined the Royal Navy as a seaman and was on board HMS (or TS) Northampton, but for whatever reason only served for four weeks.

I knew that in 1904 he worked as a Porter for the: Rother Valley Railway, then shortly afterwards and for the rest of his working life he was with: Kent & East Sussex Railway (K&ESR).

During the First World War the majority of men working for the K&ESR carried out 'War duties' with the rail company, including my Grandfather. However recent studies have shown a:

v GEORGE HENRY WILLARD as having served in the Royal Sussex Regiment and awarded: Territorial Force War Medal, this was presented at HOUNSLOW 30 March 1922.
    v His Service No; 265121,
    v Rank; PTE,
    v Name; WILLARD. George. Henry
    v and Unit; 6/277. A/Cpl.2/6 Royal Sussex Regt.
    v He was also awarded the: Victory Medal and British War Medal

I have reached again the point of a 'mental block' and I do not know where to go next to either confirm or rebut the above information that my Grandfather served in the Royal Sussex Regiment in WW1. I am proud of him either way, he worked hard all of his life and left his mark on the village of Robertsbridge in Sussex.

I would appreciate any help or advice, Thank you.

Roy Willard