Women at Valley Forge

Discussion in 'Revolutionary War' started by AmandaLynn, Dec 13, 2006.

1. AmandaLynn

AmandaLynn New Member

Just over a year ago I attended a wonderful seminar at Valley Forge where I had the opportunity to learn about the women who worked at Washington's Headquarters during that winter. Does anyone know where I can learn more about these women? Books? Material at the David Library? "Washington's Indispensible Men" goes into some detail about the servants but I'd like to learn more.

I'm sure that Hannah Till, Elizabeth Thompson, Billy Lee, and Margaret Thomas weren't the only ones who kept things running for the General and his staff...LOL.

Linda

2. Pamela Jo

Pamela Jo Guest

Linda,

I don't know about any sources for info about the women at Valley Forge, but if you find anything, I''d love to hear about it! Sounds like a great study! I'll do some research of my own and get back to you if I discover anything.

Pam

3. AmandaLynn

AmandaLynn New Member

Thanks, Pam!

;D

Linda

4. Pamela Jo

Pamela Jo Guest

Linda,

So far, I found one source for info about women at Valley Forge:

"Founding Mothers: The Women Who Raised Our Nation" by Cokie Roberts

The book covers women throughtout the war, but does focus some time on Valley Forge women...Martha Washngton and Betsey Loring among them.

I'll continue to look for more info.

Pam

5. AmandaLynn

AmandaLynn New Member

Thanks. I'm heading to Valley Forge today for the march-in. I'm sure I can find that book in the gift shop.

I guess in her own way, Mrs. Loring helped the Cause a lot. ;) :D

Linda