Will there be something to replace the radar?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Technology & Equipment' started by vashstampede, Mar 5, 2013.

1. vashstampede

vashstampede Active Member

Radar was invented over 70 years ago. Although it has been greatly improved, the basic concept is still the same and nothing revolutionary has been done. The invention of stealth plane is an example. The way how radar works can be easily exploited by the shape and even the material of the aircraft. Sometimes when an aircraft is flying too low it can also avoid radar detection.

However, since more and more countries are working on stealth planes, ex: Russian T-50, Chinese J-20 and J-XX. Eventually everyone will have them. Wouldn't it mean nobody can detect anyone at all by then if everyone still use radar?

Is there something new in the development can detecting stealth planes?

2. aghart

aghart Former Tank Commander Moderator

Stealth technology reduces an aircraft's radar signature but does not hide it completely. As for low flying aircraft? AWAC type aircraft are in existance for that very reason.

3. vashstampede

vashstampede Active Member

I know the current stealth technology isn't true stealth. Like I said in my OP, it just exploit how the current radar systems work. But with radar deflection area smaller than a bird, those best stealth planes are effectively "invisible" to the current radar technologies even though they are really not truly stealthy.

It is not that hard to achieve as you can see more and more countries are trying to develop such "stealth" technology for their fighter jets.

What will be there to counter such primitive stealth technology? Current radar systems aren't up for the job.

4. MannyGr

MannyGr New Member

Great points. If everyone develops technology to nullify radar, then what is the point of radar?

I think it can be improved upon to be effective against emerging technologies.

I would assume the next step would be to use Satellite imagery in real time to monitor airspace. Can anyone comment on the feasibility of such a technology?