Will any of the current conflicts lead to WW3?

Discussion in 'Other Conflicts' started by Riggy, Sep 27, 2014.

1. Riggy

Riggy Member

There any many conflicts on going in the world today but do you believe any of the conflicts will lead to WW3? Personally, I don't.

2. aghart

aghart Former Tank Commander Moderator

Radical Islamic extremists will save us all. We are still talking about the West (USA), China and Russia, all three understand that they will need to come together to defeat this threat to the whole world. They will not allow any disagreements between them to escalate to the point of war.

3. Diptangshu

Diptangshu Active Member

A Tale (pls read conflict) of Two Cities, Damascus and Tel Aviv may change the whole relation between two hemispheres, by means of economy as well as political, may be extending the scenario up to the latest but not for the last military campaign.
    Iran is regarded as a close ally of Syria and will be supportive by all means to Damascus, whenever needed (specially on the call for any military assistance), may this could be a headache for the western allies. Another thing is that if China face any economical threat from West, I believe she'ld be going with Russia. This may lead to a complex econo-political crisis for the Others, my guess.
    If the Syrian fanatics charge and destroy any US vessel, what 'll happen? Last of all, since the end of WW2, the big country Russia didn't liking any presence of western allies in the Middle east or even in the East! All these could lead up to a catastrophic chain reaction.

4. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Administrator Moderator

Who says we're not already in WW3? The "War Against Islam" started a long time ago. Is it really over fanaticism, or is it really about resources (oil)? I'm not sure that Russia and China will come down on the same side as the US/Europe alliance. When you look at it in the context of a struggle to control the resources in the Middle East, you can clearly see that the interests of China and Russia are not aligned with the interests of the USA and Europe.

5. Riggy

Riggy Member

I see what you mean, but I'm talking about an actual all out war in which multiple countries have declared war on another/group of others.

6. Kate

Kate Active Member

I don't know, @Riggy ... more than 50 countries are already onboard with the coalition against ISIS... that's "multiple countries" if ever I heard it. If you mean literally declaring war with some kind of verbal or written decree using those exact words, I'm not sure that's necessary any longer.

7. preacherbob50

preacherbob50 Active Member

Interesting fact. If you were in between WWI and WWII there would not have been a WWI. It would have just been called, "The war to end all wars." It took WWII for WWI to have a number.
    Seriously though, I have to agree with Peter and Kate on many accounts. This world is already at war, and I fear that our beloved country, the U.S. is neck deep in it. Militarily we have the might to pull of just about anything that is directed at the U.S. and that used to keep us out of a lot of trouble. Now, we are involved in a neo religeous war that cannot be won (my opine), and our present political administration is trying to play patty cake with Putin and he doesn't know patty cake. He does know the game of battle ship and war though, especially if we get going in the Ukraine. So let's check it off. Middle East? check. Europe? check. Asia (we owe China tons which they could call on at any time) check. About the only folks who are not at war in one way or the other are the folks on the polar ice caps.
    WWIII? Yup, its already here and like the song says, "nowhere to run, nowhere to hide."

8. Diptangshu

Diptangshu Active Member

We must remember that Beijing is still standing on red carpet. And now by these days its too hard to predict for who 'll be going with whom in the name of military conflict.
    Beijing already have some interests with Damascus and I think she must have nurturing this. So it'll be a direct threat for her if Syria will be attacked by the Western ally. I think instead of involving any direct military engagement, she could be going to freez the huge US debt, that she is holding today! Then it 'll be devastaing for current economical structure.
    Meanwhile, Putin had already signed a $400 bilion for gas-deal with Beijing over the Ukrine crisis. Jinping too, sent his navy for joint naval exercise at North China Sea (to show the Western Ally Japan). So Moscow-Beijing are now standing on the same platform.
    I don't see any military threat from the West that 'll ignite to start for a catastrophic destruction, and if anything ignite to make the stability beyond our control, then it 'll be doing by some typical Middle eastern fanaticism.

9. billion57

billion57 New Member

The Ukraine crisis doesn't seem like it will blow up any time soon- nobody's exactly rushing to protect Ukraine, and it doesn't seem that anybody will soon, given the power of Russia. The world seems to be mostly free of large-scale alliances (the major exception being NATO, which is the only alliance of its kind). However, perhaps the Ukraine conflict is leading to something more. If Russia wants to form another Soviet Union, the rest of Europe and the U.S. would definitely be in conflict with them over it. I'm not sure what China would do about it, but they'll probably oppose it diplomatically.

10. preacherbob50

preacherbob50 Active Member

We have to remember one thing about Putin. He's doing what he said he wanted to do when Gorbachev was in office. He said that he wanted to see the "old" Russia and its glory days come back and that he was the man to do it. He even made a point concerning the sale of Alaska to the U.S. He said it was an illegal move and that he would do everything in his power to get it back. I really do not see it in the wind right now, but then I didn't see Crimea or the Ukraine thing happening even a year ago either.

11. Gin0710

Gin0710 Member

It hasn't started already it's pretty freaking close. Everyone is so on edge these days. N. Korea, Russia, China and with ISIS roaming around it wouldn't be surprising. It really frightens me because the United States is so divided right now and I worry about the war starting within our own country let alone with the rest of the world. It's a scary time.

12. Riggy

Riggy Member

I think so many people in the US don't want war that I doubt a civil war would break out. I just can not see it happening. However, I am not a US citizen or live there so I have no real right to talk here. I just doubt anything like a civil war would happen. Protests are definitely going to happen.

13. Gin0710

Gin0710 Member

I don't think so either, but the fact that we are so divided makes the possibility of a World War III scary because I don't know how we would prepare ourselves as civilians for it.

14. Riggy

Riggy Member

Ah, I see. Well I hate to be blunt... but for WWIII, I don't think you can prepare yourself.

15. Gin0710

Gin0710 Member

I think there will be a select number of people (survivalists) that will be better prepared for it than I probably will be. Then there will be those who aren't prepared for it. I guess it depends on your character.

16. joshposh

joshposh New Member

I don't know if the current conflicts will lead to WW3. To many factions having their own agendas at the moment. Right now if anything I see a bunch of people ganging up on ISIS. That seems like the most popular event being thrown around. Hey we need to get that oil right?

17. Gin0710

Gin0710 Member

There seems to be a lot of countries with civil unrest. However, it's all internel conflicts or against its neighbor. If anything I think ISIS will drag everyone to the pits of hell.

18. Allison

Allison Member

Another WW could possibly happen. Remember, the US has so many allies that we could once more get dragged into conflict by siding with an ally. Then Russia would side with what ever the opposite side may be. I do not see that scenario occurring but that's how WWI and WWII dragged countries into war. The Japanese attacked us but Germany declared war on us, and so forth.

19. I honestly don't see WWIII ever happening. It was a scary possibility during the cold wars, but it is different today. I don't see any single conflict/war being big enough to involve all the "major players" in the world scene. Also, I would like to think that we learned something from the last World War. Did we decide not to let anyone get too big for their britches (Germany) and not wait until millions died? Have we learned that nuclear bombardment is not necessary, and we won't implement it again? Did we figure the 50 million that died in WWII was an unbelievable waste, and the greatest tragedy of mankind? I hope so.

20. GearZ

GearZ Member

Some of the saber-rattling and, in the case of the Ukraine, the outright naked aggression the Russian Federation is engaging in is troubling. Brinkmanship is a fine art and one slip up on either side could result in the situation deteriorating quickly.