Wilfred Beaver

Discussion in 'World War 1' started by liverpool annie, Jan 21, 2009.

1. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

Does anybody know anything about this flyer ? ..... he's talked about as an American ace but he was born in England and joined up in Canada and flew with RFC then went to America well after the war !

Name - Wilfred Beaver
    Country - United States
    Rank - Captain
    Service - Royal Flying Corps
    Royal Air Force Units - 20
    Victories - 19
    Date Of Birth - May 10, 1897
    Place of Birth - Kingswood, Bristol, England
    Date Of Death - August 19, 1986
    Place of Death - West Point, Mississippi

Military Cross (MC)

"For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. During the last five months he has destroyed five hostile machines and has brought down completely out of control, six others. During the recent operations he has performed exceptionally good work in bombing and firing upon hostile troops from very low altitudes. He has displayed marked gallantry and resource and has proved himself a patrol leader of great dash and ability."

2. Adrian Roberts

Adrian Roberts Active Member

Did this come from *****************? This is an American website. A slight bias on their part perhaps, claiming him as an American on the basis of this later life?

Or were his parents American?

I wrote the name of the website, but it has appeared as asterisks! I think most WW1 aviation devotees will know which one I mean! Some of us have said some rude things about it in the past but I didn't think it was that obscene!

3. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

I don't use that site ... screws up my computer every time I try !!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

No ! I found this ......

Un-American Ace in the RAF

In the sidebar to the story on Fred Gillet in Aviation History, March 1999, Wilfred Beaver is included among a listing of American aces in Royal Air Force service. In fact, according to Beaver’s daughter, he was born at Kingswood, Bristol, England. His parents separated in 1911, when he was 14, and he was sent to Montreal, Canada, to live with an uncle. On August 7, 1914, he joined the 1st Canadian Heavy Battery, and in 1917 he transferred to the Royal Flying Corps.

Beaver returned to Canada after the war, and on April 23, 1919, he was admitted to the United States for permanent residence. He became a naturalized citizen on September 21, 1926, but under no circumstances can he be considered an American ace of World War I.

The confusion may stem from his having served with the U.S. Army Air Forces in World War II. He joined up in June 1942 and served with the 447th Bomb Group, Eighth Air Force. Beaver was released from active duty on January 15, 1946, but served in the U.S. Air Force Reserve from 1949 to 1955. He died on August 19, 1986.

http://www.historynet.com/aviation-history-september-1999-letters.htm

And then this ........

http://www.firstworldwar.com/bio/beaver.htm

Hence my question !!

Annie :)