Why some conflicts never involved air force?

Discussion in 'Other Conflicts' started by vashstampede, May 8, 2014.

1. vashstampede

vashstampede Active Member

The Sino-Indian War in 1962 was a border conflict between China and India resulted from India's Forward Policy. Tens thousands of troops were involved in the battle and China was the victor before they decided to pull back to the original line of actual control and called for a ceasefire.

The Sino-Vietnamese war in 1979, was a border conflict between China and Vietnam. Hundreds thousands of troops were involved. Both sides took heavy casualty.

Something weird caught my eyes. None of the countries in the two wars had used air force. Why not?

Aside Vietnam which had fairly weak air force, both China and India had very large air force.
    India had demonstrated their air power in several previsions wars against both Pakistan and Portuguese.

So what was the problem with using air force in the war?

2. Diptangshu

Diptangshu Active Member

After absorbing the first shock there at NEFA, India was definitely preparing to move her winged forces (right here I just bypassing all the political/deplomatic issues/movements including US-UK).
    But the Chinese had been declaired an unilateral ceasefire and withdrawn her men from the NEFA.
    I should mention that in '62, the PLAAF was very weak comparing to IAF .