Why did it take so long ?? ...

Discussion in 'World War 1' started by liverpool annie, Oct 31, 2009.

1. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

In Memory of
    Private GEORGE VINTON

7806, 2nd Bn., Royal Munster Fusiliers
    who died
    on 27 August 1914

Remembered with honour
    ETREUX BRITISH CEMETERY

VINTON, George. Private 7806. 2nd Battalion, The Royal Munster Fusiliers. 1st Brigade, 1st Division.

Born in Cadishead. A pre-war soldier, he had enlisted into the Army at Manchester and served in the Royal Munster Fusiliers, and after serving for a number of years he was discharged before the outbreak of war. He resided with his wife and several young children (the youngest having been born since his death) at 39, Atherton Lane, Cadishead and was employed as a coal trimmer at the Partington Coal Basin at the Manchester Ship Canal. Well known throughout the district, he had been one of the most prominent players in the Cadishead Rugby Football team. By August 1914 his wife was pregnant. Due to being a reservist he was recalled on the outbreak of war and posted to the 2nd Battalion of his old regiment, then stationed at Malplaquet Barracks, Aldershot. The Battalion sailed for Le Havre, France from Southampton on board the Dunvegan Castle on the 13th August. He was killed on Thursday, 27th August 1914, during the famous rearguard action at Etreux, in which the 2nd Battalion RMF held up the advancing enemy until being overwhelmed by nine German battalions. George is buried at Etreux British Cemetery, Aisne, France. Row I, grave 6. The cemetery was made by survivors of the action on the 28th August, with permission of the enemy, and the cemetery is very close to the site of the last stand of the Battalion. The Battalion memorial is also sited here.

In the middle of May 1915 his wife received the following notification ‘Infantry Records, Cork Station, May 7th 1915, Madam, - It is my painful duty to inform you that a report has been received from the War Office notifying the death of (No.) 7806 Private G. Vinton, 2nd Battalion, Royal Munster Fusiliers, which occurred on the 27th of August, 1914, and I am to express to you the sympathy and regret of the Army Council at your loss. The cause of death was ‘killed in action’ – I am, Madam, Your obedient servant, F. G. Hayes, Captain, Officer in charge of Records’.

An article reporting his death appeared in the Eccles Journal dated 14 May 1915. Awarded 14 Star & Bar trio.

Pte George Vinton was the first casualty of WW1 from the district of Irlam & Cadishead near Eccles, Salford