Who is your favorite leader of the US?

Discussion in 'Revolutionary War' started by 2times, May 30, 2014.

1. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Member

Excellent post, Kate. Yes, I do believe James Madison would be quite disappointed with the country we have today. The government has extended far beyond what any of the founders dreamed it would become, in my opinion. I think they would be appalled by a lot of the actions the government has taken since the 1930's to expand and increase the reach and power of government. I hope we'll see a leader on par with someone like Madison or Jefferson in the future, but I'm not going to hold my breathe. We really need to get back in touch with the constitutional principles that made this country so great in the first place, before it's too late.

2. Kate

Kate Active Member

Yeah... it seems like more of an impossible dream with each year that goes by, though. So tell me, do you think we were close to that leader in Reagan (overlooking the obvious issue with his term that the naysayers always bring up because they can't think of anything better.) Or... anyone else come close in the last 10 or so presidencies?

3. preacherbob50

preacherbob50 Active Member

Bad teeth, huh? Oh well, gone are the reasons for splintering parts of speech. Actually, he wasn't the first president. There were 14 others before him, each serving one year terms. He was the first constitutionally appointed president. Also, the first 6 constitutionally appointed presidents were not born in the United States. They were born here, yes. But the United States had not been formed yet when they were born. I'm just playing devils advocate so smile!
    Okay, my most favorite leader. Ronald Reagan. The day before he was elected for his first term for the presidency he aired a statement directed to the Iran leader (I can't spell the guys name and the puter doesn't either I guess) ayatollah homenei, that if he was elected president, the first thing he would do if the 52 hostages had not been released was that he was going to bomb Iran. The hostages were released the hour the votes were counted. My kind of guy. No bull and very straight forward. Don't know about the Grenada thing though.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  4. Late Bloomer

Late Bloomer New Member

I believe ALL of the founding fathers, and many of the presidents since would be appalled to see how the government has changed. The over-reach and power grabbing are very disconcerting, as is the addition of a forth branch of government, the EPA.

If I had to pick a favorite I think it would be Jefferson, a very wise man as long as it didn't have anything to do with his personal finances.

5. Peninha

Peninha Member

lol, I am enjoying this conversation with you, I understand you are a republican right? To be honest I am rather disappointed with Obama, it seems that no matter who gets there, the outcome is pretty much the same.

6. Late Bloomer

Late Bloomer New Member

The biggest disappointment I have is that so many people get their news from a comedian. A very biased comedian. I think they don't understand that it's not a news show!

7. preacherbob50

It is a hard thing to imagine that we would ever have even a close image of a Madison, Jefferson or anyone like even one of the founding fathers. Just think about it.
    These guys were not born into freedom, but introduced it. They and others like them fought on the ground floor of this countries idealistic government. They helped make the rules and like the men and women of that day and time they stuck to those rules with integrity. Yes, even politicians of that day "had character," not "were characters."

A leader of that sort would be hard to find because some of our most recent "characters" in government have gotten away with not only bending the rules but downright busting the things into such small pieces that no one can tell the front from the back or the middle from the edge. In a room full of closed doors with only one open, its easy to figure which one to go through.
    But, when all of the doors are open a person should stop and look through it to see if this is really one that should be entered. But, no one that I see in office now or a new prospect has that kind of total integrity.

Both Clintons (ugh) opened a couple of doors and got away with it. Harry Reed opened up a few more. O'Bama opened up a bunch. Michel O'Bama found out she could sign a bill into law. So, she opened up another goody for later use by some one.
    I would be remiss if I didn't say the Bush family opened up a couple. The new guys coming up have such a bag of candy to reach into that wasn't there before, I doubt if any peace time or war time leader of present time will know what is indeed right or wrong.

Obviously our present,"constitutional professor," doesn't.

Late Bloomer likes this.
  8. Kate

Kate Active Member

Uh... NO idea what would have lead you to think you know with which (if any) political party I associate with, Peninha. I'm not sure how suggesting looking up a Gallop poll which gives a totally different percentage than Jon Stewart gave would lead you to guess if I'm Republican or Democrat (or if I'm even registered to vote for that matter.) o_O

Sooooo, care to share how you came to your conclusion? ;) Surely it's not because of some of the political statements I've made because of our [lack of] foreign policy... because even "their own people" are starting to mutiny against some of what's going on.

Don't worry about being disappointed with Obama... many Americans are reaching that same point... most recently (yesterday actually, I made a post about it) concerning the troops he's sending to Iraq after his "NO BOOTS!" speech. The rose-colored glasses are *finally* starting to come off of America's eyes. YAY!

Late Bloomer likes this.
  9. Late Bloomer

Late Bloomer New Member

It's true we are looking at our earliest leaders from afar. None of them were perfect, and if you dig deeply you can find more about their true character.

I, however, find them with their flaws preferable to the ones that are trying to change or do away with our constitution. They did not always agree with each other on how things should be done, but one thing they all seemed to agree on is that the people did not work for the government, the government worked for the people. Something that is just not true today.

10. preacherbob50

After reading a couple of replies and writing a couple myself, I have had time to think about things. Do we have anyone who truly loves our constitution and the land that the constitution is an integral part of, who can stand as a leader today.
    Someone who does not make any promises other than a desire to serve honestly and faithfully the American people. Someone who can speak with military leaders, those abroad and our own, because he/she has had to take orders from such a leader and can now give orders and be respected world wide for those orders. Someone who's decisions are not based on personal interests and political/financial gain.
    There's only 2 years to go before some "other" hope and change and frankly I can't think of anyone running that fits that criteria. It's a shame that a guy has to be rich to run. I'm betting I could find some non-Union person who lives paycheck to paycheck who would make a better leader than we have or any of the ones being pampered and groomed for the job.
    My humble opine of course.

11. preacherbob50

I just had to get in on the Al Gore thing. I know, it's old stuff, but give me a little credit cause I'm the new kid.
    Al Gore has been licking his wounds since Bush knocked him out of the presidential seat. During Gores campaign for the presidency he didn't even voice global warming as part of his platform. Immediately after his loss, Gore picked up this idea of global warming and ran with it. He even made a movie showing a couple of polar bears on a block of ice that was shot so as not to show any background, which was an entire glacier. The whistle blower finally came out when part of the movie was shot "on set" and touted as being an area with no ice where there should have been.
    Gore is like a 400 lb overweight buffoon trying to tell folks how to diet. He has a fleet of personal jets, and SUVs that would make a dictator envious. He preaches about green and has a carbon footprint larger than O'Bama with Airforce One on a campaign/ golfing trip. And the pity is that some folks would bet on Gores word and his well paid,"scientists" as gospel truth.
    Thankyou for listening/reading my crazy mans rant. The opinions heard here are not supported by this station. Goodnight all.

12. thomas pendrake

thomas pendrake Active Member

At least Al Gore had the sense to bring the concept of Global Warming back into the public consciousness. Alexander Graham Bell began warning us of it in 1917, but the robber barons paid to try to foster the ignorance that the Republicans are so fond of. I seem to remember Jr. Bush having trouble with doors. Brother Bob, are you anti-labor? The working people of this country made us strong. If we had stronger Unions, the working person wouldn't need to be living paycheck to paycheck. So, in your honor, how about Mother Jones as a leader? And Jesus said that we should be good stewards. Those scientists who see the imminent danger from undoing all the work that God did removing excess carbon from the atmosphere so that we could survive are good stewards. The fools who refuse to see the writing on the wall are like the fools who ridiculed Noah.

13. preacherbob50

It seems I have ruffled a few feathers. For this, I I will only appologize for word framing, not my beliefs. No, I am not against Unions. I am against any politician who is bought off by anyone. The unions, industries, or any faction or persons of influence with the ability to pull the puppet strings of any person seeking or holding office. The basics of unions are fantastic, but the over reach is not so good.

My statements concerning Al Gore are more pointed at his own abuse and dishonesty. There is, climate "change," but global warming is pretty much off of the table. His scientific predictions concerning ice density not only has not happened, but quite the opposite. I said nothing about not taking care of what is given us. But to take a stance that the end justifies the means is not in my way of doing things. I am sure that an honest, truthful documentation of climate events would have alerted us as well.

It would seem that we disagree on a few things. Perhaps I should not depend on between the line thinking and start documenting and dating so as not to confuse any issue I may post. Still love ya bro.

thomas pendrake likes this.
  14. thomas pendrake

Most of the buying of politicians has always come from the robber barons and the corporations so hate by our founding fathers. You really need to check your facts about global warming. It is very real and progressing. The only debate is whether it 95% anthropogenic or as little as 80% . There has been a temporary slowing due to a solar minimum, but the fact that warming continues just tells us that when the minimum ends we will be in serious trouble. Are you at all familiar with the Bible? There was a person named Noah who warned of a great flood. (An accelerated period of natural global warming caused by a sudden release of large amounts of methane caused a precipitous episode of global warming, melting much of the ice packs world-wide). Al Gore is like Noah. There are non-Biblical accounts of Noah that report that he was ridiculed. Guess what: he was right.

I enjoy and respect the fact that we seem to have a friendly debate going on. At least this isn't a gun forum and I don't have to worry about you hunting me down with your Uzi!!! I made the mistake of saying that mass slaughter of little children was a bad thing and not OK as long as any lunatic who wants to own an assault rifle should be able to. (I am a gun owner, just no military weapons. Not in the Army now.)

15. thomas pendrake

Most of the buying of politicians has always come from the robber barons and the corporations so hate by our founding fathers. You really need to check your facts about global warming. It is very real and progressing. The only debate is whether it 95% anthropogenic or as little as 80% . There has been a temporary slowing due to a solar minimum, but the fact that warming continues just tells us that when the minimum ends we will be in serious trouble. Are you at all familiar with the Bible? There was a person named Noah who warned of a great flood. (An accelerated period of natural global warming caused by a sudden release of large amounts of methane caused a precipitous episode of global warming, melting much of the ice packs world-wide). Al Gore is like Noah. There are non-Biblical accounts of Noah that report that he was ridiculed. Guess what: he was right.

I enjoy and respect the fact that we seem to have a friendly debate going on. At least this isn't a gun forum and I don't have to worry about you hunting me down with your Uzi!!! I made the mistake of saying that mass slaughter of little children was a bad thing and not OK as long as any lunatic who wants to own an assault rifle should be able to. (I am a gun owner, just no military weapons. Not in the Army now.)

16. Kate

Kate Active Member

Why is this double posted? And more importantly, did you just compare Al Gore to *Noah?!* If you wouldn't have me so upset with your sexist comment in the other thread, I might laugh at that comparison.

Or maybe not.

I think I'll count to 10 now. Or a thousand and ten. Facts are NOT foolproof just because certain groups claim it's the gospel. I suggest YOU start digging for real facts. May just be an enlightening experience, eh? I try to never be gullible to "facts" just because someone claims it's true... that only leads to trouble.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  17. thomas pendrake

In 1917 Alexander Graham Bell started warning about anthropogenic global warming, and since then.the evidence has become overwhelming. It is not a liberal topic. It is just pure, hard science. Yes, there are still flat-earthers around. Are you perhaps one? In that liberal document, the Bible, Noah warned of an impending flood and was scoffed. God is screaming to us all, listen to Him. If we don't become better stewards of this planet, he will punish us.

18. thomas pendrake

I have made my living by "digging in facts" for 60 years. Of course I compared Al Gore to Noah. By the way, Fox Views is no place to search for facts. And above I compared you to those fools who were drowned when the flood came. Do you wear a burkah? I cheered becuse a very competent woman led a muslim fighter group to bomb people who would treat you worse than they treat their cattle. The fact that Maj. al-Mansouri is not only competent but pretty and shows her face publicly just makes the insult to ISIS better, since they would want us to believe that only a mannish woman could be a leader. It is ISIS (and the taliban) who are the sexists. Oh and Fox views and the Republican party. Do you know your place>

19. Kate

Kate Active Member

Oh Thomas... Thomas Thomas Thomas. Okay, for one thing, I haven't watched Fox News (or even had cable) for more than two years now. Actually I'm not sure why Fox News wiggled it's way into this conversation.

I think what you'll come to realize is that no one on the opposite side of your views (which automatically makes them.... "flat-earthers" did you say? I don't even know what that term IS, but I'm afraid that attacking my beliefs with words won't really get you too far... but if you insist on trying, I need some more modern terms... it's 2014 not 1950!!) stated that global warming isn't real. Of course it's real. The problem is with the fanatics who use scare tactics to force others to think the earth is going to explode Sound familiar?

I'm not used to being treated with this kind of attack... you "compared me to those fools"... so I'm not sure how to handle it. Oh, and the burka. I'm wondering how you know whether or not I wear a burka/burqa... could "Kate" be a nickname for Keturah? Oh my, we really need to think before speaking. I learned that when I was 5.

[/QUOTE]

20. thomas pendrake

There is actually a "Flat Earth" society.It is still functioning. It is a very modern term. I assume you have access to the internet: google the term. My point is that people who deny anthropogenic global warming are as much out of touch as people who still believe that the Earth is flat. The only fanatics on the subject I ever hear are the corporate lap-dog deniers. I am glad that you admit to the fact of Global warming. The double posting above was the result of a virus on my computer.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014