What would have happened had Hitler deported the jews to Madagascar rather than exterminating them?

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by Vladimir, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Vladimir

Vladimir Siberian Tiger

Well..... this is a very silly question.... but I can't resist asking it.

Hitler had seriously considered the idea of moving Jews to the African island (at that time French colony) of Madagascar during the 1930s. However, in the end he though the idea was financially unviable and dumped it altogether.

I just want to know what would have happened had the 11 million or so Jews living at that time in Europe moved to Madagascar.

Consider these points as well:

1. What would have happened to the 2 million natives who were already living in Madagascar?
    2. What would have happened to the American Jewish community, as it was boosted significantly by refugees from Europe in 1930s and 1940s?
    3. What would have happened to Israel?
    4. The future of the Yiddish language.
    5. Economy of both Europe and Africa.

2. skyblue

skyblue Active Member

Would 11 million people have fit on the island of Madagascar? I don't know, but I thought it was a very small island. In any case, I had not heard that Hitler considered such a thing. I do think that if he had done this, the Jews that survived the experience would still have immigrated to Israel after the war, in basically the same numbers, just as they did in reality.