What is the ugliest plane of ww2?

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by war hawk, Feb 10, 2009.

1. war hawk

war hawk New Member

I was inspired by another member to make this thread. What is the ugliest plane of ww2.? My opinion is the ME-110 and F2A- Buffalo.

2. Keith

Keith New Member

Ugly is in the mind of the beholder !

Where would you put the Storch?
    In front or behind the Stuka !

Cheers
    Keith

3. Adrian Roberts

Adrian Roberts Active Member

I wouldn't have said the Buffalo or Me110 were particularly ugly. Very few aircraft are ugly as they have to be streamlined to fly. Maybe the AH64 Apache is ugly because of all its lumps and bumps, and because speed isn't its priority.

In WW2, the nearest I can get to ugly is some of the French bombers designed in the 30's that were still around until the fall of France; their designers certainly seemed to have not learned about streamlining.

The Amiot 143 is an example:

Attached Files:

4. muscogeemike

muscogeemike Member

Others for consideration: French Bloch 152-C-1, M.S 406; German Fw 189, Me 323; Russian I-16, TB-3; Itialian M.C. 200, S.M. 79; Biitish Vickers Wellesley, Fairey Barracuda.
    As to the Apache, I am a retired US soldier and and to a ground pounder NO Attack Helicopter (of ours anyway) is ugly.

5. Gage

Gage New Member

Me 163 is quite ugly.

6. Keith

Keith New Member

Ugliplane

Hi Gage,
    Check out the Do.335 series

:eek:

Cheers
    Keith

7. Adrian Roberts

Adrian Roberts Active Member

I was afraid someone, probably an American soldier, would respond to my comment like this! I don't doubt that the Apache is an extremely welcome sight and very good at its job, whatever you think of its aesthetics! Likewise the A10 Warthog.

I've noticed that a lot of the aeroplanes that people have cited as ugly are short fat ones rather than long thin ones - the Buffalo, the I-16, the Me163. I don't know if there is a deep-seated psychological reason for this! But this was a result of the 1930's teardrop theory of the perfect streamlined shape, and which only works in ideal conditions, rather than the arrow theory which relies on a small frontal area and which most subsequent designs subscribe to. Also, being short and fat means a low moment of inertia which increases manouverability. The Me163 is said to function extremely well as a glider, as post-war unpowered replicas demonstrated.

8. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

From what little I've heard and the couple of new books I've seen recently, the small British Apache contingent in Afghanistan is/was making a good account of itself.

9. war hawk

war hawk New Member

I never thought that the ME 163 was ugly.:happy:

10. Gage

Gage New Member

Hmm, quite ugly.

We disagree then, as it is. ;)

Some might say I'm short and fat but I do glide well!! :p

11. war hawk

war hawk New Member

The Amiot 143 is the ugliest plane I have ever seen.:boom::frog:

12. war hawk

war hawk New Member

The Stuka in my opinion is not a bad looking plane.:frog::laugh::laugh::fencing:

13. Fairey Barracuda!

14. war hawk

war hawk New Member

The Fairey Barracuda was a dive/ torpedo bomberand it was very ugly.:banplease::cc_hang:

15. Colonel Klink

Colonel Klink New Member

16. Antipodean Andy

Have a look at a black one, CK. Mmmmmm. :becky:

17. Colonel Klink

Colonel Klink New Member

What do you mean.???

18. Antipodean Andy

Check out a black Cat - RAAF or USN - not ugly at all!

19. Colonel Klink

Colonel Klink New Member

They are good looking.:)