What are you reading at the moment?

Discussion in 'Books and Films' started by Antipodean Andy, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Not an original thread but if you're reading something WWI-related at the moment and want to share, go for it.

2. war hawk

war hawk New Member

Welll I am about to start " The Great War And The Shaping Of The 20th Century" .:)

3. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

The Diary of a Nation - the War and how we got into it

Edward S Martin

http://www.archive.org/details/diaryofnationwar00martrich

I read the flip books !! ... :)

there are so many "old" books that have a different slant on things ... the way people thought at the time .... some are very expensive ... but we're so lucky to have access to them through the Universities ......
    There's plenty about the Great War .... aviation, naval, and of course the soldiers on the ground .... some can be quite eye opening .... things that have been forgotten in these modern days - are brought to life by the people who were on the spot and their thoughts and opinions !!

Annie :)

4. Andy Pay

Andy Pay Member

A new book but the only full unexpurgated version of Captain G.C. Wynne's 'If Germany Attacks'. This book was first published at the beginning of WW2 but as it was so critical of the British High Command was dramatically toned down and heavily censored with ony a few of this toned down version being released, the rest being pulped. An eye opening book with Wynne's notes for a revised edition being included.
    'If Gemany Attacks' contains critical analysis of the 1915 Battles and describes the development of the Germans' tactical concept of "defence in depth" from the Somme onwards, of which the Hindenburg and other defensive lines were expressions.
    One of the very few books that I have read through and felt compelled to read through again from the beginning as soon as I had finished reading it the first time.

Andy

5. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member