What are you reading at the moment?

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by Antipodean Andy, Sep 10, 2007.

1. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Go to your User CP, Edit Signature and browse for the pic on your computer (down the bottom) as you've no doubt done. Watch the size and don't forget to "Insert" the pic after you've browsed for it! That's where I slipped up the first time.

I think that's how I did it (had a quick look). The Mods will know the vagaries of it all better than me.

2. sniper

sniper Active Member

Thanks Andy. Have now managed to get the Sunderland on my signiture.

Sniper :peep:

3. Antipodean Andy

And, oh boy, was it worth it!!!! Well done!

4. Antipodean Andy

Storm Force to Narvik by Alexander Fullerton. Book One of the Nicholas Everard World War II Saga.

Just discovered this author as I came across his books (well, four of them) at a discount book store in Moorabbin, Melbourne. He was RN during the war and served on submarines. I have the first four books of the saga and they are mostly destroyer-based. A good read so far.

5. Antipodean Andy

Torpedo Leader by Patrick Gibbs.

6. Kitty

Kitty New Member

Andy, I have been told that Douglas Reeman is also good for RN based action.

Currently reading FUBAR. :>

7. Antipodean Andy

I've seen his books in the end papers of the Fullerton books. While I'm tempted, I kinda dread getting into yet another series!

8. Kitty

Kitty New Member

Good job you aren't into the Napoleonic books then otherwise I'd suggest Dudley Pope as well.

9. Antipodean Andy

Already there with Patrick O'Brian, Kitty!

10. spidge

spidge Active Member

Sounds like a drunk mixed up with a not so capable head of the RC's!:becky:

11. Antipodean Andy

12. Interrogator#6

Interrogator#6 Active Member

The Long Holiday by Francis Ambriere

An account of captivity as a POW by a French Soldier.

Probably out of print.

13. Antipodean Andy

Down to Earth by S/L Kenneth McGlashan AFC with Owen Zupp (dodgy character!)

14. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

I enjoyed Down to Earth, as I may have mentioned elsewhere :)

I'm taking a quick break from the actual fighting to read The Great Betrayal: Britain, Australia and the Onset of the Pacific War 1939-1942 by David Day. It's more of a diplomatic history examining how both Churchill and Menzies basically lied about the state of Australian preparations for the war against Japan. Churchill making false promises to Australia that lead to Singapore, and Menzies lying to the Australian public about British promises so as to stay in power.

Only read the first two chapters so far but interesting stuff.

15. Antipodean Andy

Still creates controversy down here - Britain apparently abandoning us and Australia turning to the US (to be used by MacArthur)...or whatever. Don't know enough other than to comment generally. Spidge and Digger'll have some educated comments - and have done elsewhere on here from memory.

We won't mention the Spitfire wing deployed to Darwin.

The effects though are still felt today.

16. Nostalgair

Nostalgair New Member

Hi All,

I have been somewhat absent with my head down in the books.

Keen to get some feedback on 'Down to Earth' when you're finished Andy.

Cheers

Owen (aka Dodgy Character :))

17. Antipodean Andy

But of course, he who is dodgy...

18. morse1001

morse1001 Guest

The Last Valley - Martin Windrow

Subtitled Dien Bien Phu and The French Defeat in Vietnam.

Up to recently, the best book on the battle was Bernard Fall's "Hell in a Small Place". But this has to take the place at the top of the list. it is a wide ranging tome, covering the background to the french involvement in Indochina, to the tactics used on both sides and finally, the battle itself.

It has a lot of fascinating stuff and a rivetting read!

19. morse1001

morse1001 Guest

The Cage - Tom Abraham

Sub title - an Englishman in Vietnam.

Abraham was a officer with the Ist Cav Divison in Vietnam and this book is the stry of his time there, where during the Tet offensive of 1968, he was captured and imprisoned by the Viet cong.

It also details the effects that is time as a grunt and as POW had on him and gives a god insight to PTSD.

20. morse1001

morse1001 Guest

Flyboys - James Bradley

Sub-titled The Final Secret of the Air war in the Pacific.

Bradley, as you may remember wrote "Flags of Our Fathers" and now has branched out into telling the story of American POW fliers who were captured and held on the island of Chichi Jima. One of the fliers shoot down near the island was George Bush senior, but he was rescued by a submarine but his crew was either killed or captured.

Bradley, is verry good at what he does and that is using the available sources to produce a very detailed and readable book, but he seems to concentrated on the cannibalism of the japanese on the island!