What are you reading at the moment?

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by Antipodean Andy, Sep 10, 2007.

1. DFC

DFC New Member

History of the RAF 1939-45 great book
    cheers Tony

2. Keith

Keith New Member

Burma

Picked up, in the morning, a book by H.E.Bates " The Purple Plain " come 8 o'clock in the evening, finished it.
    I just couldn't put it down.
    Captured the atmosphere of a pilot in Burma, and some of the facets of service life very well, not being dependant on combat and action, of which there was very little.
    I found it a fascinating read.

Cheers
    Keith DXXVII

3. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Just finished Under A Bomber's Moon by Stephen Harris and am now into A Most Secret Squadron by Des Curtis.

4. DFC

DFC New Member

The guns of August ..just started
    DFC

5. Oggie2620

Oggie2620 New Member

Reading matter

I know its fiction but I have just finished re-reading my favourite Nevil Shute books- A Town like Alice and Requiem for a Wren. Spurred me to by the Australian dvd version of A Town like Alice. Bryan Brown actually looks how I would imagine Joe to have looked. Am now going to go back to something bomber command related!

Dee

6. Keith

Keith New Member

Reading now

Hi All,
    Just started a book " The Burning Blue " by James Holland.(fiction-RAF related)
    Interesting start, will pass verdict on completion.

Cheers
    Keith DLVI

7. Cobber

Cobber New Member

G'day all, I have started reading "Forgotten ANZAC's" The campaign in Greece 1941. By Peter Ewer
    It is a reasonably good read which covers the fighting troops from the Commonwealth and Brits, it doesn't really get into the blame game though of course it does cover the futility if the campaign and the idiocy of officers from Generals Wilson, Blamey, Freyburg, etc, down to the Subalterns. It covers the Germans with the author researching the German records well.
    Some info the author has placed in book can be confusing like when he gives General Lavarack the sole credit for commanding the troops who stoped the German attacks on Tobruk

8. John

John Active Member

Have finally finished reading " The Guns of Muschu " in which a distant cousin of mine lost his life. It is about 8 Z Force Commandos who landed on Muschu Island to reconoitre the Island defences and to locate 2 hidden naval guns. The group suffered mishaps on landing and only 1 commando made it back to Australia

9. spidge

spidge Active Member

Hi John,

Worked there (Wewak) in 1992 however did not get out to Munschu. A beachcombers paradise.

This seemed interesting as guns on both Islands.

http://www.pacificwrecks.com/douglas/news/03/02news.html

Cheers

Geoff

10. John

John Active Member

11. Oggie2620

Oggie2620 New Member

Indian Princess who became a spy

Just finished Spy Princess about Noor Inayat Khan. She was a WAAF before she was SOE. My friends mother is mentioned in the book.... Noor was a very brave lady and was let down by SOE badly. RIP Noor you were a heroine.

12. Keith

Keith New Member

Re The Burning Blue

Not as good as it promised to be, somehow the ending seems missing, replaced with a name-dropping exercise.
    I would have liked to find out what happened after the main character returned to England, did he get the girl or didn't he.
    Sad message for my 600th.

Cheers
    Keith DC

13. Keith

Keith New Member

Just started a new ( to me ) factual book "SAS"(The Ultimate Warrior) edited by Steve Crawford.
    Read the first two accounts covering Iraqi Scud Hunting and Bosnian Serb Hunting, very very readable and gripping.
    Printers Brown Books.

Cheers
    Keith DCIII

14. Keith

Keith New Member

Started a new book " KG200 (The true story) " promises to be a good read.
    Any other info on this unit ?

Cheers
    KeithDCX

15. Keith

Keith New Member

If you want to spend a few minutes browsing through some interesting bits, click on to "timegun.org.uk" then check out the "two eddies" then look at the other parts listed.

Cheers
    Keith DCXXV

16. Keith

Keith New Member

Hi All,
    Doing a bit of internet research to pad out the basics on a book I'm reading on the Nazi Secret Service air unit KG200, I came across a bit of interesting info.
    The officer commanding the Group settled in the Argentine, where he continued flying until a Lancaster that had been sold to the Argentine Air Force and he was piloting, crashed killing him.
    Someone must have heard the planes dying gasp of "Gotcha"

Cheers
    Keith DCXXVIII

17. Keith

Keith New Member

DDay001.jpg

Hi All,
    Just thumbing through the "Official Guide to the Anniversary Events" of D.Day 50th Anniversary of D.Day Landings.
    The blocks of facts scattered throughout make interesting reading.
    I'll try to post one I found most interesting.
    Cheers
    Keith DCXLVIII

ps. seems to have worked

18. sniper

sniper Active Member

Hi All,

Just started reading a book about Nancy Wake, looking to be a good story after the first couple of chapters.

Sniper

19. Keith

Keith New Member

Hi Sniper,
    Fantastic lady, hope the book you're thinking of reading is The White Mouse, you will enjoy it.
    You will not be able to put it down till you've read it.

Cheers
    Keith DCXLIX

20. sniper

sniper Active Member

Hi Keith,
    Its just called Nancy Wake and comes from a set of books on different WW2 people and missions. I have read a couple of them and so far they have been good, but not if you want to base your research on them, gives you a basic knowledge.

Sniper