What are you reading at the moment?

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by Antipodean Andy, Sep 10, 2007.

1. Gage

Gage New Member

Not World War II but I'm reading 'World War Z' by Brooks.

2. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Just One Of The Many - A Navigator's Memoirs by Dudley C Egles MiD

A tiny little book at almost 120 pages and the chapters are pretty much chronological anecdotes/adventures but the writing is delightful, witty and fun. I chose this off my shelf as I had almost finished my previous book and had a train trip ahead of me today so didn't want something too unwieldy. Entering the RAF in 1940, the author musters as an Observer to avoid the pilot waiting list, does his square-bashing, re-musters as a pilot and then is sent to Canada for Observer training but ends up in South Africa which is where his No 1 EATS course was headed all along. He ends up on 148 Squadron flying Wimpys in North Africa and in his first tour joins the Goldfish Club and the Late Arrivals Club (with some help from the LRDG in the case of the latter). On rest, he volunteers for nav roles on Libs crossing the Atlantic from Canada. This fizzles out without any flying and he ends up back in England, married, promoted to F/O and, by a chance answering of the phone, off to PFF training. That's as far as I've got. Not bad for a little book!

3. Antipodean Andy

Beyond Courage - Air Sea Rescue by Walrus Squadrons in the Adriatic, Mediterranean and Tyrrhenian Seas 1942-1945 by Norman Franks.

EDIT: my decision to read this book came about from reading about Egles' (book above) rescue by Walrus when first shot down on his first tour. I figured it'd also build on what I learnt reading Pitchfork's Shot Down and In the Drink last year.

4. Heidi

Heidi New Member

Whemarcht 1939-1945,i have read a bit of it,now i need to buy the book my self.

5. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

6. Heidi

Heidi New Member

I can always count on you Liverpool annie.I never seen this before,to me it's interesting.
    Thanks-Danke schon.

7. Keith

Keith New Member

What are you reading

New Book Puchased.
    The Military History of World War II, Consultant Editor: Barrie Pitt.1945 -1995 Anniversary Special Edition.
    Hard Cover, Publisher Chancellor Press.
    ISBN 1-85152-659-5.
    26 x 37 cm format, 316 pages.
    Includes fantastic illustrations of most of the WWII weaponry, ships, guns, aeroplanes, vehicles, tanks, personal weapons etc.
    Part of British Weapons page, below
    Get it, if you can, about £8 incl. postage.

Cheers
    Keith

Attached Files:

8. martinww2

martinww2 New Member

At the moment i read the book: Battle of the Bulge.
    This year holiday i return to the ardennes for the 6e time to discover more about this interesting place. Where the Germans hit their last breath...

Martin

9. Colonel Klink

Colonel Klink New Member

I am reading "The Pictorial History of World War II" by Charles Messenger.:biggrin1:

10. Antipodean Andy

Commando's Bandits at 12 O'Clock - The 12 Best Air-Combat Commando Books Ever!. A bit of light reading and reliving my childhood. LOL. Good fun.

11. Gage

Gage New Member

Reading 'Hitler - Nemesis' by Ian Kershaw. This book is a monster and is taking some getting through.

12. Airborne

Airborne Member

The Circuit Bob Shepherd

13. Airborne

Airborne Member

Also D - Day Ian Kershaw

14. Antipodean Andy

Just finished Roald Dahl's wonderful Going Solo and have started Tim Vigors' Life's Too Short to Cry - ah, Buffaloes!

15. Antipodean Andy

A Thousand Shall Fall by Murray Peden.

16. Keith

Keith New Member

What are you......

Hi Andy,
    My latest bedtime (3-4 pages a night, to get me in the mood for sleep!) read.
    EAGLE DAY, The Battle of Britain. by Richard Collier
    Purely factual account covering both sides.

Cheers
    Keith

17. liverpool annie

Ghost Soldiers - The Forgotten Epic Story of World War II's Most Dramatic Mission by Hampton Side

What these men endured ! - their courage is definitely a source of inspiration

18. Antipodean Andy

That's a bloody good read, Annie.

I'd struggle to go to sleep reading that, Keith.

19. Antipodean Andy

Annie, how'd you go with Ghost Soldiers?

20. liverpool annie

I had to keep stopping and starting ... I couldn't read it all the way through in one sitting Andy ! I had to stop to compose myself .... it really "gets to you " ( well it did me !! ) I knew an old man a few years ago who was on the Bataan March and listening to him and his stories made me overwhelmed with emotions that even now when I think about him ... it all comes back and I have to boohoo for a bit !! the book took me back to those times !

I'd recommend it - it shows the heroics and bravery of ordinary men in such awful conditions .... the human spirit truely is amazing !