What are you reading at the moment?

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by Antipodean Andy, Sep 10, 2007.

1. Keith

Keith New Member

Just finished "Flock of Ships" by Brian Callison, For a very gripping and exciting read, I was a bit disappointed by the ending. I was still awaiting the
    7th. cavalry charging in at the last moment:horn:. it didn't.
    All in all a gripping yarn dragging you into the atmosphere of the times.

Cheers
    Keith

2. fixel101

fixel101 Guest

Just finished Wright's "The Flying Circus" which was excellent (see best aerial book thread). I picked up "Hell Hawks!" which almost immediately piqued my interest. I am fascinated by the men who bombed and strafed as part of the 9th AF and the 2nd TAF - it took extreme fortitude (of course, like so many jobs at the front). Also reading a book entitled "Nanette," a fictitious novel, based on real experiences, related to P-39 activity in New Guinea by Edward Parks, excellent.

Fixel

3. I just got back from the UK, where I always go to Waterstone's Books in Piccadilly Square.

I picked up "The Bomber Boys", by Patrick Bishop and "Men of Air" by Kevin Wilson.

I've heard of Bomber Boys, but Men of Air is a fine work about the men Bomber Command the terrible winter of 1943-44 when losses were so bad. Fantastic read!

4. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Interesting subject matter. Finally picked up Angels Twenty by the same author - the book about his real experiences.

5. Antipodean Andy

The Ship by CS Forester. Writing had me sucked in by page two.

6. fixel101

fixel101 Guest

Just started "Hell Hawks" by Dorr and Jones. Highly recommended. There are only a handful of books dealing with the 9th AF, certainly quite a few more than that focused on 2nd TAF action. Those interested in the latter, try "To Live Among Heroes": A flight doc's observations of the young men taking off and coming back, often battered, from Typhoon missions in northern Europe in 44-45. Pretty good account and also highly recommended. Not one of those you hear about often.

Fix

7. Antipodean Andy

I've hear about To Live Among Heroes and should put it on my list. Don't think I've got anything on Tiffies but, as usual, there's a few I should really hunt down when I'm in the mood. John Golley's Day of the Typhoon, Closterman's The Big Show (own it but haven't read it) and another which I can't remember (something about khaki) spring to mind somewhat immediately.

Dorr. Fix, is that Robert F Dorr?

8. war hawk

war hawk New Member

I am reading Zero Fighter ( the introduction by none other than SABURO SAKAI!!!):attention::jaw::jaw::jaw:

9. fixel101

fixel101 Guest

Andy, none other than RFD, the same. I have a bunch on Tiffie/Tempest actions, Charles Demoulin "Firebirds", Desmond Scott's "Typhoon Pilot," I believe, Roland Beaumont, "Tempests over Europe," James Kyle, "Typhoon Tale." One day I gotta invest in the four volume 2nd TAF set. Love those books.

Cheers, Fix

10. Antipodean Andy

Thanks Fix, had forgotten about Roly Beaumont, Demoulin and Scott. Still bugging me about the one I've forgotten though (been outside in the heat cleaning up the garden a little...lasted an hour this shift). Invest is about the right word for it too.

Just went off to Amazon to see if I could search out the Tiffie books and the forgotten title came to me - Soldier in the Cockpit by Ron Pottinger. Looks good and it appears he did his training in Florida.

As you mention Tempest books, Tempest Pilot by CJ Sheddan (Kiwi) is rather good.

11. fixel101

fixel101 Guest

Andy, yes, I also have the Sheddan book. All of these tend to be riveting. And, "Soldier in the Cockpit" came out from Stackpole books, which is down the road. I've fondled it as of late, but haven't bought it (paperback), as yet.

While I have your ear, a few Aussie books I covet are Cundy's book (the title of which I know well) and one by..............hmmmm, Ted Sly(?). I can't remember the title at the moment, maybe you have an idea. I need to visit one of these days. Beyond that, what is your suggestion for one of Oz's best bookstores/vendors?

Regards, Fixel

12. Antipodean Andy

Watch the fondling of the books, mate, you'll overtake Kyt as Chat's resident book "lover"...:lol:

Ted Sly's book is Luck of the Draw. As usual, I have it but haven't read it yet. Owen, Nostalgair, has met Ted numerous times and he's apparently a great bloke.

To be honest, I tend to buy mostly off Ebay and Amazon. The museums can be a bit pricey. However, in 2007, I did pick up Russell Brown's Desert Warriors for less than A$40 at a bookshop called Boffins in Perth when I lived there (left May 08). They have a few good buys like that but you have to work through the shelves which doesn't really help you.

There is a military bookshop here in Melbourne. I'll just go find the website. Oh my, I just googled "military bookshop melbourne" and have come up with some interesting results...
    This looks pricey - Napoleons Books and Games
    This could be interesting - Military Melbourne - The Internet's premier military book source
    This is the one I was trying to think of, haven't been there yet - Hylands Bookshop - Rare and out of print books.

Also give Alexander Fax Booksellers a go. One of the owners, Kristen/Kirsten, recently wrote Clive Caldwell Air Ace.

13. fixel101

fixel101 Guest

AA: Thanks, I will look at those sites this evening. I know Boffins well as I've bought quite a few good reads from there. I need to get "Luck of the Draw" one of these days.

Fixel

14. Gage

Gage New Member

Just started 'The Schweinfurt-Regensburg Mission' by Martin Middlebrook.

It's about the American Raids on 17th August 1943.

15. Keith

Keith New Member

What are you reading now

Hi Gage,
    Just finished "Private Army, "Popski"" by Vladimir Peniakof, good read.
    Hence my post in "Biographies".
    Now trying to start " Flying Firsts" by Jon Guttman.
    I said trying to read, because it is starting off with various detailed accounts of the 1914-18 era from the other sides point of view, which is not really holding me but I will press on.
    Cheers
    Keith

16. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

Jon Guttman .... has lots of wonderful information but is pretty dry ! .... WW1 era air combat was quite an adventure .... and ( I'm finding out ! ) exciting for all the flyers concerned .... they were in awe of each other and learned from each other .... and they all seemed to be so young !!

Annie

17. Gage

Gage New Member

Hey Keith, sounds good. I remember reading 'Sagittarius Rising' a few years ago about flying in the First World War. Good book.

18. John

John Active Member

I am at present reading the Australian Light Horse diaries on the AWM website. These give a good understanding of what the war was like in those days
    :behindsofa:

19. andy j

andy j New Member

Flywheel Memories Of The Open Road. By Tom Swallow & Arthur Pill.
    The inmates of Stalag IVB, in 1944 and 1945 formed a motor club of guys interested in cars and bikes, and held twice weekly meetings, with guest speakers etc., relying onn their recollections of sporting events and vehicles from before the war, and a small number of magazines that were allowed through the Red Cross process. In this period they produced ELEVEN issues of their magazine "Flywheel" on exercise books, EVERYTHING handwritten and hand-DRAWN in vegetable inks, ink from lamp-black and soot etc. If you get it you'll see how little BLUE there is for instance, but how much brown...GRAVY! Each edition was then copied a dozen times by a team of copyists and circulated round the camp. The artwork is frigtheningly good for the circumstances it was produced in!!!

20. Antipodean Andy

Hit a bit of fiction with Will Adams' The Alexander Cipher. Am about to start The Reconstruction of Warriors: Archibald McIndoe, the Royal Air Force and the Guinea Pig Club by ER Mayhew. Looking forward to it but am expecting an emotional read.