Were the Dresden bombings justified?

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by Rockhem, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Rockhem

Rockhem Member

Do you believe that the Dresden bombings were justified? Personally, I think that more precautions should have been taken to minimize the amount of civilian deaths that could happen. So, in my opinion they were not justified and they should have been more careful as to not kill too many civilians.

2. Diptangshu

Diptangshu Active Member

What I know that, this Saxony major old craft and cultural Cetre was of no military value. By the last half of the year '45, it was turned into a field hospital city for the wounded soldiers.
    Any statement/logic/protocol etc. etc could hardly able to justify the massacre!
    The city Dresden been sent directly to a blast furnace for 1.5 million people without any warning. No less than 700 000 phosphorus bombs blazed the City by less than 12 hrs.
    A Mankind served for Another mankind .. Everyone knows that whatever military bases or the factories all had been located far , far away from the outskirts of the doomed city of Dresden !

3. Rockhem

Rockhem Member

That is a very interesting quote, i have never heard that one before. Do you know a link to the source of the quote?

4. Diptangshu

Diptangshu Active Member

Well, I didn't understand the 'quote' you asked for. Any way, for your kind information I want to say that there are lots of infos can be found in the web, you may read from those as per your choice but, try this one too, which is the Dresden historical commission publishers final report, been published a few years back, and I read this more than once.
    http://www.dresden.de/en/02/07/03/historical_commission.php

5. Rockhem

Rockhem Member

Okay, I will read that report you have linked.