War Graves Cleaned Up In Habbanyia Iraq

Discussion in 'Memorials & Cemeteries' started by Kyt, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

A great slide show. It was a tragedy that the graves were desecrated but the lads have done themselves proud by donating their time and effort

LiveLeak.com - War Graves Cleaned Up In Iraq

2. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

3. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Well done those men. What a beautiful place it was in the 1950s. Mark Lax sent me and Spidge some pics of RAAF headstones elsewhere in Iraq. These were laying flat on the ground and the decision had been made to leave them like that for the time being so as not to attract attention.

4. spidge

spidge Active Member

Andy, Andy, Andy.....................

It was Habbaniya!

View attachment 2959

View attachment 2960

The three Australians, of 216 Group RAF, were killed when their Wellington bomber crashed on landing on 21/7/1943 at Iraq Airfield Habbaniya.

CLANCY, HAROLD PAUL Flight Sergeant 413825 216 Group 21/07/1943 22
    HARRISON, FRANK Sergeant 413863 216 Group 21/07/1943 23
    WHITTARD, PERCIVAL JAMES Flight Sergeant 416238 216 Group 21/07/1943 27

5. Kitty

Kitty New Member

Does anyone have any photos of it now? I know the replacement stones were out there waiting to be put on the graves.

6. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Was it? Ripper, thanks Geoff. I had better send the video link to Mark although he's probably already seen it. Good to know that since he was there it's been deemed safe enough to rebuild the cemetery.

Of all the gravestone pics I've received by email, would you believe this is the only one that has gone missing?! I still have emails from Mark after he sent the pics but not the pics. Sigh, actually, I think I saved them to the other computer so all may not be lost!

7. spidge

spidge Active Member

Mark sent me a word document on the exercise undertaken (2003) however it will not open. I need to find his original email also.

Cheers

Geoff