vietnam movie

Discussion in 'Vietnam War' started by preacherbob50, Oct 8, 2014.

1. preacherbob50

preacherbob50 Active Member

I just saw my first Vietnam war movie from start to finish. Since it didn't have much to do with the Army I decided to give it a try. It was called, "The Flight of the Intruder."
    So far as war movies go, it was pretty good. Since I really don't know much about Navy missions in Vietnam, I guess it was as close as it could get for a movie. It starred Danny Glover of Iron Eagle fame, another almost good movie.
    Normally, I do not watch the junk that they call close to real, because in the past I tried to see a couple of them and made it about 15 minutes into each of them. Either totally phony or got to close. Either way, this was the first for me. Probably the last. I figure 43 years after I came back, I should watch one. I did.

2. Diptangshu

Diptangshu Active Member

Well, you may get an out line of the American Navy in Vietnam. Its informative, you'll see the medics, Seabees too. A few understandable things are here about the involvement of the US, in the war when conflicts were going in between the communist North and democs South Vietnam. Atleast not bad watching ...

3. preacherbob50

preacherbob50 Active Member

Thanks again,"Dip!" You'll have to tell me what the u-tube thing was though. It wouldn't open for me for some reason. The only thing I really know about the Navy in nam, came from a simple minded, silver spoon sucking politician. John Kerry. Bad example I know, of the actual Navy we had and have. We have some fantastic sailors and pilots out there.

4. Diptangshu

Diptangshu Active Member

Sorry, but its working in my system.
    Pls chk it once,as I've checked it. Thanks.

So, guys be ready to disembark one more time on the Mekong delta ... Vietnam ... !

Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
  5. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Member

What are some other good Vietnam War movies? I know Forest Gump is kind of all over the place, but I think it did a decent job of portraying that war and some of the other big events surrounding it.

6. Diptangshu

Diptangshu Active Member

Forrest Gump isn't a war movie. Zemeckis, though intelligent but unable to knit the characters of Davis and Forrest. Despite a bagful mistakes, it bagged a lot of Oscars!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
  7. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Member

Yes, Forest Gump involves a few scenes covering the Vietnam War. Do you not remember that? It's definitely not a movie that's centered around the Vietnam War, but it certainly covers it. I think it did a good job portraying it.

Gin0710 likes this.
  8. Diptangshu

Diptangshu Active Member

Sgt Sammy L Davis FPc (then) Battery C/2nd Battalion/4th Artillery/9th Inf Dv, an able son of another proud artillery man of the States. Sammy honored for his extraordinary acts in the west Cai Lay against some 1500 Viet Congs under severe mortar attack. A Valor Beyond the Call of Duty ... is it too hard to recll what happened to him at his howitzer point that day??
    I just unable to understand from which point of view the Forrest Gump, as you told .... been covered the entire struggle (Vietnam)!!! As far as my knowledge goes, Zemeckis portraits as low as 1/100th of the entire struggle right there, though he wasn't intend to do so (war coverage). He descended for the general movie goers, in general who keep less infos and gone with the wind alongwith His Oscars!
    I've no objection either for Hanks or for his acts, povided I still unable digest that real Life hero Sammy been superimposed (Hanks) on the occassion of Honor award ceremony .. probaly the theme could be shown by some other ways!

9. aghart

aghart Former Tank Commander Moderator

Platoon, is the film that gets my vote. A top quality war film, tough, gritty and thought provoking, the final battle is awesome.

Diptangshu likes this.
  10. Diptangshu

Diptangshu Active Member

Who are still looking for Vietnam war movies, may try with Apocalypse Now!
    Coppola said its not about Vietnam, it is Vietnam.

11. Peninha

Peninha Member

Apocalypse Now is a great a movie, but I think I prefer Good Morning Vietnam better, it's just another perspective.

12. Gin0710

Gin0710 Member

I have only seen Apocalypse Now maybe once, but I genuinely appreciate it for showing us a parallel between the Vietnam conflict and what Heart of Darkness portrays that centers around the ivory trade in the Congo. I know Apocalypse Now is almost an adaptation of Heart of Darkness, with the different backdrop, but the stories seem similar.

13. Diptangshu

Diptangshu Active Member

Well, it is very nice to find that different personality keeps a different choice of their own.
    I'm no film critic and once I also watched some good Vietnam movies. On behalf of my knowledge, what I understood that Platoon was a very straight forward ground level combat movie, no gossip please. G M Vietnam ... and .... ah .. F M Jacket remains too good in their category as well as respectful in their class for a very good number of war movie lovers!
    Each of the movies have a different theme, variations could be observed for their different indications. So one thing is clear that if we gonna compare these movies, it'll be a labor loss.
    I must admit what Gin was telling us, very much true. Unlike other war movies, Apocalyps N too, have a very differet appeal to its audience, which is Vietnam, but in depth, Congo stands silently ... a special credit of Coppola, here he is a bit surrealistic too!

14. Peninha

Peninha Member

I've seen quite a few war movies and Vietnam movies and to be honest I am not eager to watch any more, it's almost (but very far of course) like I understand what happened there.