USS Wasp aircraft carrier

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by liverpool annie, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

No, no, not you Annie, the original writer. Just seemed odd, that's all. I wonder if there's any account of the eventual sinking?

2. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

Found this .... with pictures

Destroyer Photo Index DD-415 USS O'BRIEN

3. Antipodean Andy

Looks like she broke in half.

Great find, Annie, many thanks.

4. Tiornu

Tiornu New Member

This is odd, isn't it? Here's a DANFS quote: "The explosion did little local damage, but set up severe structural stresses through the ship." I'm not even sure what that means. Here's the DANFS page for everyone to look at:
    DD-415 DANFS
    I'll see if I have any additional materials on this.

5. Tiornu

Tiornu New Member

Here I just found something. I haven't even read it yet, but I'm guessing it'll be the best info available. It's from a document called "Structural Repairs in Forward Areas during World War II," published in 1949. It's in pdf form but it's gone through an OCR program so you can't see the actual document pages, just the text as the OCR program rendered it. I hope I can attach it....

Attached Files:

6. Tiornu

Tiornu New Member

Looks like it's working fine. Have a peak and see what you can sea.

7. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

That's a pretty comprehensive review ... don't you think ?

Looks like they thought the repairs were inadequate .... but she still went 2800 miles after she'd been torpedoed and repaired !!

8. Glene77is

Glene77is New Member

My Dad said that there was a scout sea-plane earlier, which was shot down.

His name was Glen Ellis, from Monticello, GA, USA. A farm boy on a wonderfully big ship. He stayed in service, and we never heard him wonder what he would be doing next year. It was always Navy.

He was one of the guys who went down the 100 foot rope, and "kicked sharks for 9 hours". He and five other guys shared a deck plank, "holding on by two fingers" only. Dad never wanted to talk about it much. He did say that when the shark fin hit his feet, it felt "like a hammer". He said the fuel-water mix was about five feet thick, and that kept the sharks down lower.

:gathering: This may be all there is in life that means anything.
    Just the gathering of like minded souls.

Glen Ellis, index

9. Antipodean Andy

A hell of a survival, mate. Your father was a brave man indeed.