USS Tennessee (ACR-10)

Discussion in 'World War 1' started by liverpool annie, Aug 8, 2009.

1. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

I found this looking for something else ..... I'm surprised at the mention of a tsunami - thought this maybe of interest .... !

ACR.10 MEMPHIS , 29th August 1916, Caribbean Sea, in Santo Domingo harbour, Dominican Republic (c 18-50’N, 70-00’W) - driven ashore and totally wrecked by (100ft?) tsunami or tidal wave of seismic origin; hurricane in some sources. On peace-keeping duties in Dominican waters during a rebellion. At anchor at the time, with a boatload of 'Memphis' sailors returning from shore-leave. As she was driven ashore, engine room personnel made every effort to give her manoeuvring power. The Medal of Honor was awarded to Engineering Lt Claud Jones, Chief Machinist's Mate George Rud (posthumous), and Machinist Charles Willey; some 40 men dead or missing, 200 badly injured

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/cajones.htm

George William Rud

Birth: Oct. 7, 1883 Death: Aug. 29, 1916

US Navy Peacetime Congressional Medal of Honor Recipient. He served as a Chief Machinist's Mate in the United States Navy. His citation reads "For extraordinary heroism in the line of his profession while attached to the USS Memphis, at a time when that vessel was suffering total destruction from a hurricane while anchored off Santo Domingo City, 29 August 1916. C.M.M. Rud took his station in the engine room and remained at his post amidst scalding steam and the rushing of thousands of tons of water into his department, receiving serious burns from which he immediately died."

Charles H Willey

Birth: Mar. 31, 1889 Death: Sep. 11, 1977

US Navy Peacetime Congressional Medal of Honor Recipient. He served as a Machinist in the United States Navy. His citation reads "For extraordinary heroism in the line of his profession while serving on board the USS Memphis, at a time when that vessel was suffering total destruction from a hurricane while anchored off Santo Domingo City, 29 August 1916. Machinist Willey took his station in the engineer's department and remained at his post of duty amidst scalding steam and the rush of thousands of tons of water into his department as long as the engines would turn, leaving only when ordered to leave. When the boilers exploded, he assisted in getting the men out of the fireroom and carrying thim into the engineroom, where there was air instead of steam to breathe. Machinist Willey's conduct on this occasion was above and beyond the call of duty."

2. cally

cally New Member

As it happens I have a few pictures of the stricken ship to go with Annies piece.

Attached Files:

3. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

Smashing pictures Cally .... thanks !! :D

4. Dolphin

Dolphin New Member

Perhaps the heading should be changed to USS Memphis - I know that I was a bit confused by the Tennessee/Memphis references.

Gareth