Twin engine, low, somewhere near/over the Med

Discussion in 'Books and Films' started by Antipodean Andy, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Okay, so my passion for low level work in general and particularly in the Med might be remembered by fellow members so forgive me for harping on about it again.

I'm trying to finish off a book so I can get stuck into Patrick Gibbs' Not Peace but a Sword followed by Torpedo Leader. I want to continue on this path but, at the moment, am not sure which way to head. I'm thinking an overview of anti-shipping work in the Med might be good to follow Gibbs' work with (or even precede his books with). Armed Rovers would be the best?

I've also got Desert Scorpions (459 RAAF), Battle-axe Blenheims (105 Sqn) and Alamein to the Alps (454 Sqn RAAF) as more specific coverage. Has anyone got any personal impressions on these books or can recommend other Med-based, low-level strike books?

2. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

I think Armed Rovers, Andy. It's a great overview of the Beaus in the Med (and it covers some ops in North Africa). I found it helped me in placing the different strands and periods together.

And you may enjoy No Hero, Just a Survivor by GRT Willis (47 Squadron). Covers his time Beaus and Mossies in the Med and Burma (our two favourite theatres!!).

3. Antipodean Andy

Fanks, mate.

4. Antipodean Andy

5. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

That's a new one on me, Andy. And I can't find any reviews on the web. Of course, he is an excellent writer, and his wooks are always well researched.

Swine, now that's another book on my wishlist.

6. Antipodean Andy

It might be just the Beaufort bits from Armed Rovers but I doubt it. Will be some correlation of course.

7. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

No, the period covered 1940-42 seems to imply an earlier period, and possibly other than just the Med.

8. Antipodean Andy

Good point, K. :doh: Plus I noted it was published in 1983. Channel Dash coverage perhaps (among other things)?

9. Antipodean Andy

10. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Oww, that makes it even more tempting.